Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Eleanor24
Regular Visitor

App Insights in Power BI

I am trying to get customevent data from App Insights to Power BI. I really just want to create a view of the user flow in our app based on those events (count of users by event name). I have been able to export the data from logs to Power BI using a dataset and an M query. What I'm hoping to do is create a model that I can schedule to refresh daily, or establish the recommended connection to App Insights so I can continually monitor this data in Power BI without exporting on any given day.

I have gone through quite a bit of documentation but some of it is from older versions of PBI, and some of it seems to lead me down a rabbit hole of additional steps that I may need more permissions to do. I'm wondering if anyone can help direct me to the correct resources that I should be using for my purposes to hopefully avoid overcomplicating the process due to my lack of understanding. Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Eleanor24
Regular Visitor

I believe this is the solution. Seems like a permissions issue in Azure that needed to be sorted before connecting App Insights to Power BI.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Eleanor24
Regular Visitor

I believe this is the solution. Seems like a permissions issue in Azure that needed to be sorted before connecting App Insights to Power BI.

v-kongfanf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Eleanor24 ,

You can schedule data refreshes in the Power BI service to ensure that datasets are updated daily without manual intervention.
To simplify connectivity with Application Insights, consider using the Kusto Query Language (KQL) to query custom events directly and then visualize those events in Power BI.

For more details,  you can read below document:

Configure scheduled refresh - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Stream real-time events from a custom app to a Microsoft Fabric KQL database - Microsoft Fabric | Mi...

Best Regards,
Adamk Kong

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.