Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Don-Bot
Helper II
Helper II

Aggregation by month connect to date dimension

So this may be a beginner type question but I am having issues with this.

I am creating an aggregation import table that I want to be by month.  However, my calendar table is actually by date time for the fact table.  

How can I connect it so users can use the date dimension table for the calendar yet it fires off the aggregation.  

I tried putting a Month Date in the dimension and then connect that to my aggregation it yells and says the aggregation can't have a bi-direction filter on it.  

DonBot_0-1702651029034.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
3CloudThomas
Super User
Super User

It is bi-directional becuase there are 'many' rows in the date dimension for a single month. You would need to do 1 of 2 things (there might even be more than 2 🙂
1. Create a view of Date Dimension to only have one row per month and join on view
2. In the aggregation table, add a column for the first day of month (or last day of month) and join on date dimension by this new column (1/1/2021 or 1/31/2021)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
3CloudThomas
Super User
Super User

It is bi-directional becuase there are 'many' rows in the date dimension for a single month. You would need to do 1 of 2 things (there might even be more than 2 🙂
1. Create a view of Date Dimension to only have one row per month and join on view
2. In the aggregation table, add a column for the first day of month (or last day of month) and join on date dimension by this new column (1/1/2021 or 1/31/2021)

Hi @3CloudThomas , I was looking at this again and have a follow up question.  

If I went with option 1 do you have any recommendations on how I could reconcile what would end up being 2 date dimensions?

1 would be the calendar date dimension that has every day in it.  The 2nd would be the monthly one you suggested above.  

Thanks

I did exactly what your #2 suggestion is.  Seems to work like a charm.

Thanks!

Awesome!!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.