Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Frixel
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

After combine files the error an unexpected error occurred

Hello

Why do I keep getting the message "an unexpected error occurred" in all columns after clicking on 'Combine files'?

Frixel_0-1711655731762.png

Frixel_2-1711655773632.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Sergii24
Super User
Super User

Hi @Frixel, are you 100% sure that structure of your Excel files is the same? The fact that PowerBI is able to deal with the first row but not others, would nudge me to:

1. Undesrstand what Excel file has been used as a template
  2. Once the file is identified, open it and one of those that have an error to make sure that structure is the same: same number of columns, their names, data types, no extra emty columns on the right and etc.
  3. If it doesn't help, try to open a new pbix and load separately 2 files: template and one with an error. Apply same transformation steps in each of them separately to obtain the same result, then compare the code in Power Query.
  4. If you don't find any difference, copy paste the code from the template Advanced Editor and replace the one for Excel file with an error. Does it work? If so, copy-paste transofrmations code to the previous pbix (where you try to group them).

I hope you'll manage to solve it at one of the mentioned steps. Good luck!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Sergii24
Super User
Super User

Hi @Frixel, are you 100% sure that structure of your Excel files is the same? The fact that PowerBI is able to deal with the first row but not others, would nudge me to:

1. Undesrstand what Excel file has been used as a template
  2. Once the file is identified, open it and one of those that have an error to make sure that structure is the same: same number of columns, their names, data types, no extra emty columns on the right and etc.
  3. If it doesn't help, try to open a new pbix and load separately 2 files: template and one with an error. Apply same transformation steps in each of them separately to obtain the same result, then compare the code in Power Query.
  4. If you don't find any difference, copy paste the code from the template Advanced Editor and replace the one for Excel file with an error. Does it work? If so, copy-paste transofrmations code to the previous pbix (where you try to group them).

I hope you'll manage to solve it at one of the mentioned steps. Good luck!

Frixel
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

it is every time by this step

Frixel_0-1711696105794.png

danextian
Super User
Super User

Sometimes that error disappers on its own. Have you tried loading the query?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

yes multiple times and i get always this error 😢

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.