Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

hussein_c
Frequent Visitor

Adjusting X Axis formatting

hey everyone. im having a slight issue with my report, so as you see in the photos, my line chart's X axis is taking data from a field parameter called granularity, which basically has 3 columns, 'day' for daily view, '15 min' to view each 15min and 'hour' for hourly view. 
at first i had the formats for those columns as a long time format 01:30 PM. but then i realised that i still need to see the day/month in the 15 minutes and hour granularities. i added a "DMY" column as you can see in the bottom photo which has date in the format dd-mmm-yy, and that is exactly how i want it to be. but the thing is if i change between my field parameters, the value for the x axis will then take only the DMY column as my x axis data and won't change anymore if i change my field parameter again.  i added a 3rd image that shows how when i changed the granularity to hour, it changed based on the dmy.

what can i do to get the results in the second photo, while maintaining the functionality of my field parameter?

without DMYwithout DMY

with DMYwith DMY

after changing granularityafter changing granularity

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
hussein_c
Frequent Visitor

so the solution for this after i tried is simply to drill down when i change between granularities. it will get me the same result as the second photo

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
hussein_c
Frequent Visitor

so the solution for this after i tried is simply to drill down when i change between granularities. it will get me the same result as the second photo

Uzi2019
Super User
Super User

Hi @hussein_c 

Try this two setting  of  X axis

Uzi2019_0-1716291562591.png

concatenate lables turn on

Uzi2019_1-1716291647001.png

change this to 

Uzi2019_2-1716291707912.png

I hope by chaging above setting you will get the desired result.

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@hussein_c change the x-axis type on the format pane to categorical instead of continuous and see if that helps.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

it is categorical, but it doesn't change anything since the granularity values are in field parameter

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.