Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

SMeasells
Regular Visitor

Adding Extra Data Points to a Line Chart

Hi All, 

See screenshot of my line chart...it shows the % complete for actual and planned schedule tasks on a construction project. The schedule tasks are coming from a P6 project file. I'd like to include data points for the months that have a milestone with a planned finish date during that month. For example: Building 1 CO milestone expected in November 2023 would show a dot over that month. 

These milestone dates don't have any relation to % complete, just the date. Is there any way for me to add this in a line chart, or other visual? 

SMeasells_0-1694714013711.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@SMeasells yes you should be able to do this, create another measure for the milestone and use that on the visual, assuming you have a calendar dimension in your model that you are using in above line visual. 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@SMeasells glad it worked, both questions you asked are possible?

for the first one, you can take the % complete and multiply it with some factor so that it is a little bit above the line and for 2nd one, you can use measure for the data label aka custom data label that you can use for these events. 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@SMeasells yes you should be able to do this, create another measure for the milestone and use that on the visual, assuming you have a calendar dimension in your model that you are using in above line visual. 

@parry2k this was helpful! I was able to get the milestones onto the chart, but they only show at the very bottom of the chart(since by nature, the milestone activities are either 0% complete or 100% complete). I was hoping to have them appear above the progress lines, but I'm okay with that compromise. Now, I just need to figure out how to get the milestone names on the chart. Thank you for your help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.