Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

zivhimmel
Resolver I
Resolver I

ALLEXCEPT help needed

Hi,

I'm trying to use Allexcept with a column on a dimension table and it looks to be ignored.

Let's say I have a sales fact table. Every record is for a sale and there's a customer satisfacion score.

Then we have a customer dimension. So there's 1:many relationship between fact sales and dim customer, using customer_id.

One of the columns in the customer dimension is city.

In a report page, I want to be able to filter down to a specific customer, see all of their sales, and show, side by side, the customer's

avg. satisfaction vs. the avg. satisfaction of customers from their city.

I tried something like the following but the city seems to be ignores and I just get avg. satisfaction accross all sales

avg_satisfaction_Same_city=

calculate(

AVERAGEX(ALL('Fact Sale'),'Fact Sale'[satisfaction]),ALLEXCEPT('Dim Customer','Dim Csutomer'[City])

)

Any idea?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @zivhimmel ,

Would you please try to use the following measure:

avg_satisfaction_Same_city= CALCULATE(AVERAGE('Fact Sale'[satisfaction]),ALLEXCEPT('Dim Customer','Dim Csutomer'[City]))

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @zivhimmel ,

Would you please try to use the following measure:

avg_satisfaction_Same_city= CALCULATE(AVERAGE('Fact Sale'[satisfaction]),ALLEXCEPT('Dim Customer','Dim Csutomer'[City]))

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@zivhimmel , All except, mean all filter other than what you mentioned will be ignored.

refer: https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/using-allexcept-versus-all-and-values/

Thanks @amitchandak . This is exactly what I want. I want to city of the customer to be respected (not ignored), but the customer filter to be ignored. I want to see all customers records from the same city as my customer. Happy to do it any other way, doesn't have to be ALLEXCEPT. Thanks.

@zivhimmel ,

Try like

calculate(

AVERAGEX(ALL('Fact Sale'),'Fact Sale'[satisfaction]),filter(allselected('Dim Customer'),'Dim Csutomer'[City] = max('Dim Csutomer'[City]))
)

Thanks again. It doesn't work however.

It returns an avg of all values, ignoring all filters. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.