Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DataGeek333

A circular dependency was detected - when opening a file

Hi Community,

I have encountered this circular dependency issue today. However, the weird things are:

• This error message was popped up when I opened the Power BI file, insteading of showing up when I was editing a DAX;
  • I haven't made any change to the file since last month, and everything was fine last month;
  • When I opened the archived historical file, this error also popped up.

The message reads: A circular dependency was detected: tmp_SPTR[tmp_SPTR-7c6f6c62-c1de-4a73-825c-0f6e3297bf78], 2ee4a1c2-ef58-4bf5-a1c2-ac2c385c618e, tbl_Perf_TR[Code], tbl_Perf_TR[tbl_Perf_TR-59430534-25a5-4816-bb56-69d94ffd8650], tmp_SPTR[CodeBench], tmp_SPTR[tmp_SPTR-7c6f6c62-c1de-4a73-825c-0f6e3297bf78]. 

Can you please have a look into this?

Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

adding the following environment variable: "PBI_ASEngineConfig_DAX_SummarizeColumnsSelfValue" set to "0" is also a workaround for this (at least for me)

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
DataGeek333

For y'all have the same issue, a temp solution is to download an older version Power BI, which is the Feb 2024 version from here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-latest-update-archive?tabs=powerbi-d...

At least it will stop showing the circular dependency error window when you open the pbix file.

adding the following environment variable: "PBI_ASEngineConfig_DAX_SummarizeColumnsSelfValue" set to "0" is also a workaround for this (at least for me)

Hi, how did you learn of its existence?

v-yaningy-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @DataGeek333 

According to your description, your pbix file has a circular dependency error, can you provide the pbix file without sensitive data for us to test (if you can, please use Google Drive to share the link that does not require the viewer to be logged in to a Google account), here is the link to avoid generating the circular dependency error, you can refer to it.
Avoiding circular dependency errors in DAX - SQLBI

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

Hi Yang,

Due to the complex build of the pbix file, I cannot simply remove the sentitive data to share it publicly. 

However, when I rolled back to the Feb 2024 version, this circular dependency error then no longer shpwing up. Guessing it might be something in the Mar update that triggered this issue. Can you provide this feedback to the dev team?

Kindly,

This is a breaking change in the latest version of PowerBI Desktop.

This happens if, in the model you first use a column from particular table to create a calculated table using SUMMARIZECOLUMNS like this:
SUMMARIZECOLUMNS(
Dates[Month Year],
'Budget Names'[Budget Name Actual],
"Exchange", [Actual Value]
)

And then create a relationship between those tables/columns. Like in our case we are then creating relationships to the dates table.

The matter is, this used to work. We have several PBIX files that worked without a problem and now suddenly have Circrular Dependency in them if you open in latest PBI Desktop

Hi, @jpierzchala 

I appreciate the feedback, what was the source you got? Since my work environment has not previously used SUMMARIZECOLUMNS to create a pbix file, I cannot verify if this is an issue. can you provide the pbix file without sensitive data for our testing.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

SteDie
Regular Visitor

Hello,

i am experiencing the same Problem, good to know that i am not the only one. Made no Changes, but PowerBI Desktop updated to a new Version.

this_doesnt_work_anymore =
    ADDMISSINGITEMS(
        TableA[xxx],
        TableB[xxx],
        TableC[xxx],
        SUMMARIZECOLUMNS(
            TableA[xxx],
            TableB[xxx],
            TableC[xxx],
            TableD,
            "IST", sum(TableD[xxx]),
            "SOLL", sum(TableD[xxx])
        ),
        TableA[xxx],
        TableB[xxx],
        TableC[xxx],
        TableA,
        TableB,
        TableC
    )

are you doing something similar in your case?

Kind Regards

Hi, @SteDie 

For a quicker solution to your problem, you can reopen a thread and others will see your problem.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

Yes, I have a similar format of the DAX like what you have here, and it has been reported for the circular dependency. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.