Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

osama_ayoub
Helper III
Helper III

creating measure using dax

Hi,
I have a table of sales transaction with columns of product and quantity and date of sale and years of warrenty and column of date when this quantity will be out of warrenty and lastly status column which indicate if this quantity in warrenty or not based on today date and out of warrenty date
now I create table Visual in power bi and want to show years in rows and beside it I want to create measure to show with each year what is the remaining quanitiies of product still in warrenty
So if in 2023 there are 1000 unit of different products will be out of warrenty I want this measure to show sum of all the quantity still in warrenty (which will be out in 2024  &2025 &2026....etc)

thanks in advance

osama_ayoub_0-1686658941700.png

osama_ayoub_1-1686659333438.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tamerj1
Super User
Super User

@osama_ayoub

Since you already have a date table then no need for a Years table. Sorry for that but I did not have all the information about your data model.

Two relationshops have to be created. One "Active" between DateTable[Date] and Query[Basic fin.] and other "Inactive" between DateTable[Date] and Query[Out of Warranty]

The measure would be 

Remaining Quanitiies of Product Still in Warrenty =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( 'Query'[Del. qty] ),
    'DateTable'[Year] >= MAX ( 'DateTable'[Year] ),
    USERELATIONSHIP ( 'Query'[Out of Warranty], 'DateTable'[Date] )
)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
tamerj1
Super User
Super User

@osama_ayoub

Since you already have a date table then no need for a Years table. Sorry for that but I did not have all the information about your data model.

Two relationshops have to be created. One "Active" between DateTable[Date] and Query[Basic fin.] and other "Inactive" between DateTable[Date] and Query[Out of Warranty]

The measure would be 

CALCULATE (
    SUM ( 'Query'[Del. qty] ),
    'DateTable'[Year] >= MAX ( 'DateTable'[Year] ),
    USERELATIONSHIP ( 'Query'[Out of Warranty], 'DateTable'[Date] )
)

tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @osama_ayoub 
First of all the existing [Year] column represents the year of the [Basic fin.] date. You need to create a new [Out of Warranty Year] column which simply YEAR ( 'Table'[Out of Warranty] ).

In order to be able to see KPI's that are related to any of the year columns at the same time in the same visual, you need also to have a dimension 'Years' table and is simply a single column table that is linked with an active relationship with 'Table'[Year] and a non-active relationship with 'Table'[Out of Warranty Year]. Then you can place 'Years'[Year] column in a visual along with your measures.

CALCULATE (
    SUM ( 'Table'[Del. qty] ),
    'Years'[Year] >= MAX ( 'Years'[Year] ),
    USERELATIONSHIP ( 'Table'[Out of Warranty Year], 'Years'[Year] )
)

Hi Tamer,

Thanks for your help

I have Create 2 relationship

one active relation between column(Date in Date Table) and (Date in my fact Table (Report)

another relation (inactive) between (Date in Date Table) and (Out of Warrenty in my fact Table (Report))
and have created measure like in the attached screenshot , and it seems it work fine but I should have a inreasing Trend in the start of seeling the products and then it shoud decline with years because in the first years of seeling the products it should be increasing quantity of products still in warrenty ?

Regaeds

osama_ayoub_0-1707952258180.pngosama_ayoub_1-1707952292459.png

osama_ayoub_2-1707952316259.png

@osama_ayoub 

It should be <= not >=
that was a mistake from my side. 

@tamerj1

I reversed the sign but now It corrected the firs part but the second part (the curve should be go down with every unit outing from warrenty )
Regards

osama_ayoub_0-1709029334157.png

@osama_ayoub 

It cannot as this is a running total. Unless you remove completely the filter argument but only keeps the USERELATIONSHIP then you would obtain the trend that you've described. But that won't be a running total. 

I created a table (has all distinct years in query table) as a link between query table(which have my sales data) and calender table ,but I got this error 

osama_ayoub_1-1686740595533.png

osama_ayoub_0-1686740427304.png

osama_ayoub
Helper III
Helper III

@tamerj1 
could you help me to create this measure,please?

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.