Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

MAVIE
Helper I
Helper I

SELECTEDVALUE returns value for related dimension, while not present in fact

I am creating the following measure, which has to returns a value from my fact table based on different scopes. 

DEFINE 
MEASURE 'People Engagement'[Engagement Rotation] =
VAR YearInScope =
    ISINSCOPE ( 'Date'[Year] )
VAR QuarterInScope =
    ISINSCOPE ( 'Date'[Quarter] )
VAR MonthInScope =
    OR ( ISINSCOPE ( 'Date'[Month] ), ISINSCOPE ( 'Date'[YearMonth] ) )
VAR DateInScope = 
    ISINSCOPE ( 'Date'[Date] )

VAR EvalYear = 
    IF ( 
        COUNTAX ( 'People Engagement', [Rotation] ) >= 1,
        "Expand to Quarter or Month",
        BLANK ()
    )

VAR EvalQuarter = 
    LASTNONBLANKVALUE ( 'Date'[Date], SELECTEDVALUE( 'People Engagement'[Rotation] ) )

VAR EvalMonth =
    SELECTEDVALUE ( 'People Engagement'[Rotation] )

RETURN
    SWITCH (
        TRUE (),
        DateInScope, BLANK (),
        MonthInScope, EvalMonth,
        QuarterInScope, EvalQuarter,
        YearInScope, EvalYear,
        BLANK ()
    )

EVALUATE 

SUMMARIZECOLUMNS ( 'Employees'[Employee ID], 'Date'[Year], 'Date'[Month], FILTER ( 'Date', 'Date'[YearMonth] IN {202307, 202308, 202309, 202310, 202311, 202312}), "Eval", [Engagement Rotation])

The value that I am returning (Rotation) is a boolean. 
I am running into the error that the measure returns FALSE for all values in my dimensions (Employees, Date), even when these values are not in my fact table (People Engagement). 
I am using a very similar measure to retun a text field, and this works as intended only returning values in my fact table.

How can I stop the evaluation for values not in my fact table, and does this have to do with the boolean type of the Rotation column?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MAVIE
Helper I
Helper I

The issue was resolved by converting the value from BIT to String in the datamodel, such that Power BI would not confuse blank values with FALSE

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
MAVIE
Helper I
Helper I

The issue was resolved by converting the value from BIT to String in the datamodel, such that Power BI would not confuse blank values with FALSE

Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@MAVIE 

SELECTEDVALUE( 'People Engagement'[Rotation] ) is used in in your measure, so where is it coming from in the filter context?

Modify your SUMMARIZECOLUMNS to include the 'People Engagement'[Rotation] field as well

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

Hi @Fowmy 
There is a many - one relationship between People Engagement and Date, and People Engagment and Employees. When doing a summarizecolumns over Employees and Date, I would therefore expect SELECTEDVALUE( 'People Engagement'[Rotation] ) to be evaluate in the context of these tables, such that I return the Group by coulmns from the SUMMARIZECOLUMNS function which has a value in People Engagment. This works as intentded if I swap the Rotation boolean column for a text column. 

Adding 'People Engagement'[Rotation] to SUMMARIZECOLUMNS does not resolve the issue.
Here is an example of the evaluated measure: 

MAVIE_0-1702469487789.png

All of these employees are evaluated to false, despite not having an entry in the People Engagement table

@MAVIE 

If you could share a PBI file with dummy/sample data.

@Fowmy It seems that I do not have permission to upload a file to the post, and I am not able to upload it to a public file sharing platform

@MAVIE 

You may email me. address: fowmy@excelfort.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Kudoed Authors