Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Victornld2
Frequent Visitor

Recreate OLAP calculated member in a samenatic model

Hi everyone,

I'm recreating an old OLAP cube to a semantic model (in Fabric).

There is a calculated member in OLAP, but how do I recreae this in Power BI / a semantic model? 

The calculated member (named: Average) calculates the sum of the weekdays, divided by 5. Deadsimple, not dynamic.

And is than added to a dimension attribute (Calendar/Day of the week).

So in a table visual when you select the Day of the week, you get the rows:

Monday, Thuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Average.

So no matter what measue you select in the visual, the member Average always shows the average in the colums.

The OLAP visual: 

Victornld2_0-1715161161716.png

Power BI semantic model visual:

Victornld2_1-1715161199106.png

Anybody got any suggestions?

UPDATE:

I resolved the challenge with a DAX measure to change the behaviour depending if the context is on the rows or the total level. IF(HASONEVALUE(), CALCULATE(),CALCULATE() ) )

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Remember that you can override the measure definition for the totals areas. Make sure your users understand what you are showing as it is no longer intuitive.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Victornld2
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Ibendlin.

I understand to just change the aggregation of the value in the matrix. But if you filter on, for example, to show only monday's and thuesday's, the total value also changes (ofcourse). So I think I than need to make a dax measure. So that it on the total's level ignores the filters.

Remember that you can override the measure definition for the totals areas. Make sure your users understand what you are showing as it is no longer intuitive.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Repeating the same data in a visual is a design red flag.  

The Table and Matrix visuals in Power BI support implicit measures, and Totals areas. Consider using these instead.

Thanks for your reaction. How would you use an implicit measure or the Totals area for this case?

lbendlin_0-1715635700910.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.