Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

sshah55
Frequent Visitor

Implicit measures

Hello 

can I switch off IMPLICIT measures for all numeric tables in my PowerBI file ?

I seem to remember that @PatrickLeBlanc of GuyInACube suggested this somewhere but I can't recall where. 

Thank you

Sunil 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-huijiey-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sshah55 ,

It's right as Greg_Deckler said.

Please follow these steps:

1. Before proceeding, you need to enable a feature -- File>>Options and settings>>Options>>Select "Preview features">>Select ”Model explorer and Calculation group authoring”.

vhuijieymsft_0-1708941790819.png

2. Go to the "Model" tab >> Select "Model" under the "Data" pane >> Select "Semantic model" >> Enable "Discourage implicit measures".

vhuijieymsft_1-1708941790824.png

3. Or click the Calculation group above. When trying to create a calculation group, if the "Discourage implicit measures" property is turned off, you will be prompted to open a dialog window asking you to open it to enable creation of the calculation group.

vhuijieymsft_0-1708941860656.png

By enabling this property, Power BI no longer displays summation symbols next to data columns in the Data pane, thus discouraging the creation of implicit measures. It also prevents data columns from being added directly to visuals on aggregate axes or as values. However, existing implicit measures that have been created in the visual will continue to be valid.

For more information, please refer to the following documentation link:

Create calculation groups in Power BI (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-huijiey-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sshah55 ,

It's right as Greg_Deckler said.

Please follow these steps:

1. Before proceeding, you need to enable a feature -- File>>Options and settings>>Options>>Select "Preview features">>Select ”Model explorer and Calculation group authoring”.

vhuijieymsft_0-1708941790819.png

2. Go to the "Model" tab >> Select "Model" under the "Data" pane >> Select "Semantic model" >> Enable "Discourage implicit measures".

vhuijieymsft_1-1708941790824.png

3. Or click the Calculation group above. When trying to create a calculation group, if the "Discourage implicit measures" property is turned off, you will be prompted to open a dialog window asking you to open it to enable creation of the calculation group.

vhuijieymsft_0-1708941860656.png

By enabling this property, Power BI no longer displays summation symbols next to data columns in the Data pane, thus discouraging the creation of implicit measures. It also prevents data columns from being added directly to visuals on aggregate axes or as values. However, existing implicit measures that have been created in the visual will continue to be valid.

For more information, please refer to the following documentation link:

Create calculation groups in Power BI (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,
Yang
Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@sshah55 In the Model tab:

Greg_Deckler_0-1708364689345.png

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I'm sorry Greg, I could not find that setting ...eas this in the service or desktop ? Thank you Sunil

Thanks @Greg_Deckler for a very quick response ! I'll try it as soon as I'm in front of PowerBI desktop. 

regards 

Sunil 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors