Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Ackbar-Learner
Resolver I
Resolver I

How to get a measure to ignore date filter in a visual and use other dates?

Hi

I am having a very specific issue. So, i have a date between type slicer on my visual. Based on the selections of that slicer, i created two measures for the first and last date known as Board10aFirstDateSelected and Board10aLastDateSelected.

Now,  i want to ignore the dates selected in the slicer but using the above 2 measures, i created another First and Last date as in below DAX code:

Board10bP&LAllTransactionAmountwithSignBudgetActualized = 
VAR First = if(today()>[Board10aFirstDateSelected],today(),[Board10aFirstDateSelected])
VAR Last = if(today()>[Board10aLastDateSelected],[Board10aLastDateSelected],today())
RETURN
CALCULATE(
    [AmountWithSign],
    FILTER(ALL(BudgetCalendar[Date]),DATESBETWEEN(BudgetCalendar[Date],First,Last))
)

I want to ignore the actual date filter on the visual and return the values using the new 2 dates named as First and Last in above code but it is returning blank as it seems it did not remove the filter as intended in above DAX code.

Thanks for any kind of help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Ackbar-Learner
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @eliasayy 

Thanks. I figured it out. The actual issue was on the VAR First and VAR Last dax codes

VAR First = if(and(TODAY()>=[Board10aFirstDateSelected], TODAY()>= [Board10aLastDateSelected]),[Board10aLastDateSelected]+1,if(and(TODAY()<[Board10aFirstDateSelected], TODAY()< [Board10aLastDateSelected]),[Board10aFirstDateSelected],TODAY()+1))
VAR Last = CALCULATE(MAX( BudgetCalendar[Date] ),ALL( BudgetCalendar ))
RETURN
CALCULATE(
    [AmountWithSign],
    ALL(BudgetCalendar[Date]),DATESBETWEEN(BudgetCalendar[Date],First,Last)
)

This is the correct DAX.

However, when using ALL, it is returning the total data in each date hierarchy level. Any idea how to summarize that by date hierarchy? I looked for Summarizecolumns but don't know how to use that!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Ackbar-Learner
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @eliasayy 

Thanks. I figured it out. The actual issue was on the VAR First and VAR Last dax codes

VAR First = if(and(TODAY()>=[Board10aFirstDateSelected], TODAY()>= [Board10aLastDateSelected]),[Board10aLastDateSelected]+1,if(and(TODAY()<[Board10aFirstDateSelected], TODAY()< [Board10aLastDateSelected]),[Board10aFirstDateSelected],TODAY()+1))
VAR Last = CALCULATE(MAX( BudgetCalendar[Date] ),ALL( BudgetCalendar ))
RETURN
CALCULATE(
    [AmountWithSign],
    ALL(BudgetCalendar[Date]),DATESBETWEEN(BudgetCalendar[Date],First,Last)
)

This is the correct DAX.

However, when using ALL, it is returning the total data in each date hierarchy level. Any idea how to summarize that by date hierarchy? I looked for Summarizecolumns but don't know how to use that!

eliasayy
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hello @Ackbar-Learner I think a simple removefilter([date]) in the calculate formula will do the trick

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors