Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

AmritaOS
Helper I
Helper I

How to calculate rolling average where the average value is the count of dates

Hello,

i am looking to calculate the rolling 7 day average.

my data consists of a number of duplicate dates which represents the number of contacts per date - so each time there is a contact on teh same date a duplicate date is added to the column.

i need to claculaye the number of contacts per date and then calculate the rolling 7 day average per date.

in my line chart i want to show the count per date and the 7 day rolling average per date.

this is what i have done - 

INST x Day Moving Average =
var sum_in_period = CALCULATE([Count Daily Instruction by Date],DATESINPERIOD(rInstructionAppointmentOpenedPBI[InstructionOpenedDate],LASTDATE(rInstructionAppointmentOpenedPBI[InstructionOpenedDate]),-7,DAY))
var days_in_period = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(rInstructionAppointmentOpenedPBI[InstructionOpenedDate]), DATESINPERIOD(rInstructionAppointmentOpenedPBI[InstructionOpenedDate],LASTDATE(rInstructionAppointmentOpenedPBI[InstructionOpenedDate]),-7,DAY))
return
sum_in_period/days_in_period

it is giving me some values but when i calculate manually they are incorrect.

thanks,
Amrita

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @AmritaOS 

Before you do anything in DAX and PBI, I'd strongly suggest you read this first. Your problem most likely stems from the fact that you are using the time-intel functions incorrectly. Please refer to the documentation (https:/dax.guide/datesinperiod) to see what conditions need to be satisfied to use the time-intel functions with confidence. Especially, read the Notes section.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @AmritaOS 

Before you do anything in DAX and PBI, I'd strongly suggest you read this first. Your problem most likely stems from the fact that you are using the time-intel functions incorrectly. Please refer to the documentation (https:/dax.guide/datesinperiod) to see what conditions need to be satisfied to use the time-intel functions with confidence. Especially, read the Notes section.

thank you this is perfect.

i have figured where i was going wrong.

Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi, @AmritaOS 

Please correct me if I wrongly understood your question.

If the above calculation gave other than your expectation, then please check if there were any zero-count-day within the 7 days, or skipped dates within the 7days. If there is, then it would be different than what you did manually by dividing 7.

Hi, My name is Jihwan Kim.

If this post helps, then please consider accept it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Hi Jihwan, yes there would be skipped dates. can i amend the calculation to include dates where there is a count >0 ?

thanks

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

Do you mean you want to include the skipped dates + zero count dates in the 7days count?

If so, I think you need to have dim-date-table.

By using this, you cal have 7 counts for 7 days. 

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors