Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

SiGill1979
Frequent Visitor

Dax Measure dividing the sum of one column by the sum of another

Hi

Hope someone can help. I've got the following Measure

GM% = if(DIVIDE(SUM(ProfitabilityMASTERFinal[GM]),SUM(ProfitabilityMASTERFinal[Net Sales]))>9.9999,9.9999,IF(DIVIDE(SUM(ProfitabilityMASTERFinal[GM]),SUM(ProfitabilityMASTERFinal[Net Sales]))<-9.9999,-9.9999,DIVIDE(SUM(ProfitabilityMASTERFinal[GM]),SUM(ProfitabilityMASTERFinal[Net Sales]))))

If I then add this measure to a table and and the Year column in, I get the same result for all years. How do I get it to give me the correct result for each year. Is there a Partition By or Over function in Power BI?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @SiGill1979 ,

Do you have any other fields on your form besides [Year] because sum() will group based on the fields placed on the form Visual.

If you want to group based on the [Year] field, you can place only [Year] and measure in the Form Visual.

If you have the rest of the fields and the [Year] field in Form Visual, and you want to group by [Year] field, you can change the measure。

Measure 2 =
var _sumGM=
SUMX(FILTER(ALL('ProfitabilityMASTERFinal'),'ProfitabilityMASTERFinal'[Year]=MAX('ProfitabilityMASTERFinal'[Year])),[GM])
var _sumnet=
SUMX(FILTER(ALL('ProfitabilityMASTERFinal'),'ProfitabilityMASTERFinal'[Year]=MAX('ProfitabilityMASTERFinal'[Year])),[Net Sales])
RETURN
 if(
    DIVIDE(_sumGM,_sumnet)>9.9999,9.9999,IF(DIVIDE(_sumGM,_sumnet)<-9.9999,-9.9999,DIVIDE(_sumGM,_sumnet)))

vyangliumsft_0-1709689460968.png

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @SiGill1979 ,

Do you have any other fields on your form besides [Year] because sum() will group based on the fields placed on the form Visual.

If you want to group based on the [Year] field, you can place only [Year] and measure in the Form Visual.

If you have the rest of the fields and the [Year] field in Form Visual, and you want to group by [Year] field, you can change the measure。

Measure 2 =
var _sumGM=
SUMX(FILTER(ALL('ProfitabilityMASTERFinal'),'ProfitabilityMASTERFinal'[Year]=MAX('ProfitabilityMASTERFinal'[Year])),[GM])
var _sumnet=
SUMX(FILTER(ALL('ProfitabilityMASTERFinal'),'ProfitabilityMASTERFinal'[Year]=MAX('ProfitabilityMASTERFinal'[Year])),[Net Sales])
RETURN
 if(
    DIVIDE(_sumGM,_sumnet)>9.9999,9.9999,IF(DIVIDE(_sumGM,_sumnet)<-9.9999,-9.9999,DIVIDE(_sumGM,_sumnet)))

vyangliumsft_0-1709689460968.png

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

That would be a question for your data model wiring.  Same value in all rows = can't get there from here (for example you are trying to control a dimension from a fact).  Which columns did you use for the visual?

By the way your measure can be simplified either via variables or via MinMax:

GM% =
MAX (
    MIN (
        DIVIDE (
            SUM ( ProfitabilityMASTERFinal[GM] ),
            SUM ( ProfitabilityMASTERFinal[Net Sales] ),
        ),
    ),
)

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Kudoed Authors