Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

th21
Frequent Visitor

DAX Importing Measures from tabular server into table

I am new to DAX, and I am trying to build a query for a report. I have figured out a lot by myself, but I am stuck on this current problem.

I am connecting to a Tabular Data Server which lists "Sales Dollars" and "Sales Dollars LY" as Measures (1.2 Double).

I want to know the best way to load Measure into a table that also includes several Non-Measures (i.e. Text and Numbers such as 'Table'[Value]) and a ton of Filters (some of which have multiple criteria)?

Here is the code I am currently using. It runs, but it doesn't give me everything I am looking for. See comments in the code. I am open to using a different method (i.e. SUMMARIZECOLUMNS) as long as it works!

EVALUATE
	CALCULATETABLE (
		ROW (
		// I would like to list each 'Calendar'[Month Name/Year] i.e. "January 2023"
			"Sales $ TY", [Sales Dollars],
			"Sales $ LY", [Sales Dollars LY]
		),
		'Calendar'[Month Name/Year] IN {"January 2023", "February 2023", "March 2023", "April 2023", "May 2023", "June 2023"},
		'Calendar'[Year Number] = 2023,
		'Transaction Category'[Transaction Category] = "Wholesale",
		'Transaction Type'[Transaction Group] = "Group C",
	// Line below also needs to filter by:    'Transaction Type'[TT] = "Type D"
		'Transaction Type'[TT] = "Type A"
	)

2 REPLIES 2
th21
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your response.

I have revised what I would like the table to look like so you can better understand:

YearTotal Sales (Jan - Jun)
2023 (TY)3875
2022 (LY)4185

Ideally, I would also like an expanded version of it showing month by month:

YearJan SalesFeb SalesMar SalesApr SalesMay SalesJun SalesTotal
2023 (TY)5004506007007259003875
2022 (LY)55042561075075011004185

More background:

This is all coming from one main table via one tabular data connection. There is no PBIX file as of yet, I am conceptually constructing this in DAX Studio to check for errors and once I have a solution I will begin building visuals and a data model in Power BI. This is one element that is ultimately going to be part of a larger report that is currently 100% Excel driven.

Measures:

This has been my main obstacle. I don't understand why these measures are loading so differently than the other table values.  I have spent hours of reading documentation and searching forums.

Measure NameTypeDescription
[Sales Dollars]1.2 Doublereturns sales with or without a year parameter
[Sales Dollars LY]1.2 Doublereuturns sales dollars ONLY when a 'Calendar' field with a year is input i.e. 'Calendar'[Year Number] = 2023 wil return 2022 sales and 'Calendar'[Month Name/Year] = "January 2023" will return Jan '22 sales.

Filters:

NameTypeDescription
'Calendar'[Year Number]IntReturns year i.e. 2023
'Calendar'[Month Name/Year]TextReturns Month/Year i.e. "January 2023"
'Transaction Category'[Transaction Category]TextReturns a category i.e. "Wholesale"
'Transaction Type'[Transaction Group]TextReturns a type of transaction i.e. "Direct to Customer"
'Transaction Type'[TT]TextReturns a subtype of transaction i.e. "Palletized" or "Shipping Container"

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @th21 ,

According to your description and formula, it seems that you want to create/get a table base on two measures. And as checked the formula, it involves multiple tables('Transaction Category', 'Transaction Type' and 'Transaction xx' etc.). Is there any relationship among them? Could you please provide more raw data in your table 'Project Role Price' (exclude sensitive data) with Text format and your expected result with backend logic and special examples? It would be helpful to find out the solution. You can refer the following links to share the required info:

How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

And It is better if you can share a simplified pbix file. You can refer the following link to upload the file to the community. Thank you.

How to upload PBI in Community

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.