Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Dimitris_Kats
Helper V
Helper V

Automatic drill down based on slicer selection

Hello dear members.

I need your help.

I have a hierarchy with brand and model in my table. I have created a bar chart with brand in the x axis and the sales amount in the value. I have also a slicer with the hierarchy Brand, model. 

What I want to achieve is, when there is no selection in the slicer to display in the chart the brand. But if there is a brand selected in the slicer to display automatically the related models in the bar chart. 

I don't know if it is possible to have an dynamic drill down 

Thank you very much 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
xifeng_L
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @Dimitris_Kats ,

You can refer to below solution.

#1. when there is no selection in the slicer to display in the chart the brand

xifeng_L_0-1715702281689.png

#2. if there is a brand selected in the slicer to display automatically the related models in the bar chart

xifeng_L_1-1715702312261.png

Demo - Automatic drill down based on slicer selection.pbix

Did I answer your question? If yes, pls mark my post as a solution and appreciate your Kudos !

Thank you~

View solution in original post

It can be implemented, but there is no generic solution, it needs to be designed on a per object basis.

Generally it is a matter of adding additional filtering logic within the measure, or adding visual filters (controlled with the measure).

For example, you can refer to the following example:

Default state:

xifeng_L_1-1715765157421.png

Interaction state:

xifeng_L_2-1715765168515.png

Did I answer your question? If yes, pls mark my post as a solution and appreciate your Kudos !

Thank you~

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Dimitris_Kats
Helper V
Helper V

@xifeng_L I really appreciate your help!! Thank you very much. 

Is it too much to ask for an example with unrelated fields in the matrix??

Dimitris_Kats
Helper V
Helper V

@xifeng_L  the only issue now is that I have Lost the possibility to filter the matrix I have in the same page. When I select a brand or model from the bar chart the matrix remains the same. Is it possible to keep that interaction? 

It can be implemented, but there is no generic solution, it needs to be designed on a per object basis.

Generally it is a matter of adding additional filtering logic within the measure, or adding visual filters (controlled with the measure).

For example, you can refer to the following example:

Default state:

xifeng_L_1-1715765157421.png

Interaction state:

xifeng_L_2-1715765168515.png

Thank you~

Thank you so much @xifeng_L  for your answer. Unfortunately I don't use the same fields ( brand and model) in the matrix. I use other fields . I tried your solution but I couldn't make it work. I also tried to creat a relationship to solve the problem but still couldn't fix it. Could you please help me out with that?? 🙏

As stated above, there is no universal approach to this and it needs to be tailored to different scenarios.

You can learn my solution idea above and apply it to your scenario.

xifeng_L
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @Dimitris_Kats ,

You can refer to below solution.

#1. when there is no selection in the slicer to display in the chart the brand

xifeng_L_0-1715702281689.png

#2. if there is a brand selected in the slicer to display automatically the related models in the bar chart

xifeng_L_1-1715702312261.png

Demo - Automatic drill down based on slicer selection.pbix

Thank you~

@xifeng_L thank you so much. It worked perfectly 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.