Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Something Like 'Sort By' Column for Slicers

Use Case: I have had many occasions where I would like to have a slicer with a slider that, instead of an individual date, the values shown in the start and end date boxes are things such as "Jan 2023" or "Week 34." This would be possible if slicer had something similar to a "Sort by Column" feature where the "sort by" column had to be a number or date. For example, in my Dates table I have a column called "Month&Year" with values such as "Jan 2023" and I also have a column called "MonthIndex" with an integer that is equal to 1 for all dates in the first month included in the table, 2 for all dates in the second month, etc. I would love to be able to have a slicer that uses a slider to adjust start and end values using MonthIndex but displays the corresponding Month&Year values in the start and end boxes in the slicer. When the user clicks on either the start or end box, a list of the available Month&Year values would be shown for selection.

Comments
AlexaderMilland
Helper III

If the column in the slicer is already sorted by another column, it would show in that specified order already. 
Or am i missing something?

DCinTN
Regular Visitor

You are correct, and perhaps the title I used was not a very good description of the issue. The issue is that you cannot use a "between" slicer with a slider when the values are not numerical or a date. What I frequently find myself wishing for is that I could have a "between" slicer that used a date value internally to drive the slider, but that the values displayed above the slider could be text values. For example, I'd like to use a slider to select a range of months that displayed as somthing like "Jan 2022" or weeks that displayed as "Week 5," etc. The slicer would need actual date value to work with since it wouldn't inherently know the sequence of the text value nor the relationship with actual dates.

Perhaps another way to accomplish the same thing would be to allow for custom formatting strings to be used on slicer values. That way, I could slice a date column but use custom formatting strings to display the dates in the slicer itself using text like my examples above.

AlexaderMilland
Helper III

Ah yeah then it makes sense. I would like a between slicer for weeks, say between week 5 and 12, and then it would show week 5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 instead of having to click those all individually from a dropdown menu. 

Great idea then 😄 

DCinTN
Regular Visitor

If you have any thoughts on a better title for the idea, I'd love to hear them. If many people interpret the title the way you did, it may not get votes whereas it may get more with a title that more accurately describes the ask.

AlexaderMilland
Helper III

Maybe you can specify it's for the "Between" / "Before" slicers specifically, since the other ones are already sorted correctly according to the sort by from a different column.