Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

luojiandanPBI
Helper I
Helper I

nothing happen when powerbi-visuals-api updated

Hi,everyone,I create a visual by following step:

Learn how to develop your own Power BI visual using the circle card visual as an example. - Power BI...

then,I run two npm install ......

npm install powerbi-visuals-api@latest
npm install powerbi-visuals-utils-dataviewutils@latest

and I get new version

powerbi-visuals-api version: 5.4.0
powerbi-visuals-utils-dataviewutils version: 6.0.1

luojiandanPBI_0-1697240187625.png

then,I run "pibviz start",nothing happen in web.

luojiandanPBI_1-1697240217754.png

what's wrong with this?

thanks for reply.

code is here:

https://github.com/luojiandan/CircleCard 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I'm on node v18.17.1, and I'm using tools v4.3.2 for testing your repo, as that's what I have installed globally. Note that tools currently recommends Node v18+, so that could possibly be an issue.

The process is normally pretty straightforward and I would expect you to have some success, based on what I'm seeing, so it does suggest an environmental issue, but here are a couple of other things you could check for information:

• Are there any console errors when the constructor is fired?
  • If no errors, are you getting the console.log() statement executing correctly?
  • If the constructor's console.log() is firing, does adding data to the visual trigger the update method? If so, do you get any output (or console errors there)?

If you have any console erros ,please post them and I can have a think about what the issue could be.

If you're not getting anything from the above, I'd suggest getting in touch with support to see if they have anything that they can recommend: pbicvsupport@microsoft.com.

Hopefully some of this is useful for you, and I hope that you can continue with your work.

Good luck,

Daniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

My course: Introduction to Developing Power BI Visuals

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
dm-p
Super User
Super User

Hi @luojiandanPBI,

I've cloned your repo, run npm i, then pbiviz start and it all looks fine to me:

dmp_0-1697249065348.png

Sometimes the developer visual can fail to initialize the first time it is displayed on a page. You can work around this by resizing the visual to trigger an update from the visual host. I'm not sure why it happens, but have you tried doing this?

If this happens for you, subsequent reloads with the current visual instance will work as normal, although you may need to repeat the process when you navigate to a new page and back again (causing the developer visual to be completely reloaded). This won't happen for your visual when you paclage it either; it just seems to be for the developer visual.

Regards,

Daniel

On how to ask a technical question, if you really want an answer (courtesy of SQLBI)

Hi,Daniel,I did resize visual,and get nothing.

if fine to you,maybe my environment for developing has troube.

Node.js version: v14.15.0

powerbi-visuals-tools version: v3.1.9

what's version for you?and what's your opinion?

I'm on node v18.17.1, and I'm using tools v4.3.2 for testing your repo, as that's what I have installed globally. Note that tools currently recommends Node v18+, so that could possibly be an issue.

The process is normally pretty straightforward and I would expect you to have some success, based on what I'm seeing, so it does suggest an environmental issue, but here are a couple of other things you could check for information:

• Are there any console errors when the constructor is fired?
  • If no errors, are you getting the console.log() statement executing correctly?
  • If the constructor's console.log() is firing, does adding data to the visual trigger the update method? If so, do you get any output (or console errors there)?

If you have any console erros ,please post them and I can have a think about what the issue could be.

If you're not getting anything from the above, I'd suggest getting in touch with support to see if they have anything that they can recommend: pbicvsupport@microsoft.com.

Hopefully some of this is useful for you, and I hope that you can continue with your work.

Good luck,

Daniel

Hi,Daniel.

I change my version to node v18.17.1, and tools v4.3.2.

it's ok now.

thanks so much for your patience.

having a good day,best wish for you.

Awesome - so glad you're up and running! 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors