Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mmaguire201
Regular Visitor

Overlapping Bar Chart Visual Recommendation

mmaguire201_0-1711124555307.png

I'm really looking to create something like this in PowerBI. This is a manual visual that I made in PowerPoint to get my vision "down on paper" so that I could show it to others. This is basically the lifecycle of parts on a well. In this case, there are six wells within the station (I'm creating a maintenance dashboard). Each bar represents a part on the well (pump, motor, shaft) and the exclamation and flag icons represent the "end of service life" and "end of life". The whole point of this visual is to show the current age of the parts with respect to the EOS and EOL. The only way I can think to do this is to utilize the new "overlapping" bar chart feature that was added recently. However, the overlapping only seems to apply to a few of the bars. Not sure what the issue is. If there are other recommendations as to what to do, I am welcoming other ideas.

This is sample data that would apply to this visual:

Station NoWell IDPump AgeMotor AgeShaft AgeEnd of Service LifeEnd of Life Age
1W1-12109810
1W1-2434810
1W1-33105810
1W1-44107810
1W1-5369810
1W1-6253810

In reality, this dataset will be bigger and will include the wells within other stations. (this visual includes station 1 only). I intend to use a slicer to sort the wells by Station No.

3 REPLIES 3
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

That's pretty ambitious.  Here's a simplified version that is not as fancy but will be easier to maintain.

lbendlin_0-1711374597393.png

Thank you so much for taking the time to do that! I spent some time on it in the meantime and I have gotten it to a similar looking visual. Do you mind me asking how you inserted those dotted lines to represent the two significant timestamps (8 and 10 years for service life and end of life)? I really like how you did that compared to what I currently have. Is there also a specific way to format the verticallity of the visual (e.i. mine is currently showning 4 quadrants instead of all in one column)?

*edit - now I see that you used two constant lines! Makes a lot more sense now. Still interested in the vertical formatting though!

In the "Small Multiples"  you can specify the number of rows and columns.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors