Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

chris__1
Helper III
Helper III

Access PPU Workspace Object from Fabric (Trial) Workspace

Hello,

in my company we use mainly PPU workspaces.

From within my "Fabric-Trial" workspace I wanted to access dataflows that are located in one of our PPU workspaces.

I get this error:

chris__1_0-1690376664165.png

My Questions:

1. For the purpose of testing and evaluating Fabric it would have made sense (in my opinion) to allow such access. Is this the expected behaviour of the trial workspace?

2. If this is the expected behaviour, what implications does this have if we were to purchase a Fabric capacity ( < F64 !)? Would I have to change all the workspaces from PPU workspaces to "Fabric Capacity" workspace" to be able to use those objects (dataflows) inside the Fabric workspace? Will then the workspaces that used to be PPU Workspace lose their "special abilities" (like 48 refreshes/day, Computed entities, Deployment Pipelines...). 

4 REPLIES 4
JP8991
Advocate II
Advocate II

Yeah I am having the same issue too, no resolution as of yet.

chris__1
Helper III
Helper III

I'm sorry to push this back up again - however this is still persistent!

Reading @GeethaT-MSFT reply I am unsure whether the underlying question was understood - this seems like a licensing problem to me - not a technical one (saying that I should not have problems using "Get Data" is not totally helpful).

So to all fellow Fabic-Testusers out there:

Is there anyone who has a PPU Workspaces and can access Dataflows in this PPU-Workspace when creating a Dataflow Gen2 an a Fabric workspace?

I tried with multiple PPU Worksapces as source and multiple Fabric Workspaces as destination and still get the error message posted above!

GeethaT-MSFT
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @chris__1 There shouldn't be anything preventing you from using the Get data > From Dataflows connector within Power Query today, if you are unable to accomplish this activity I would suggest opening a support ticket.

Regards

Geetha

Hi @GeethaT-MSFT 

No. I still get this message when trying to use a Dataflow located in a PPU-Workspace as source in a Dataflow Gen2 located in a Fabric Trial Workspace:

chris__1_0-1690558546051.png

I will not open a support ticket.

I changed the workspace license type where the dataflows are located that I want to use from "Premium-Per-User" to "Trial".  If this is the workaround during testing the trial... so be it.

However, I would still very much appreciate an answer to my question from above, as this would impact my decision if Fabric makes sense in our "PPU-heavy" environment:

2. If this is the expected behaviour, what implications does this have if we were to purchase a Fabric capacity ( < F64 !)? Would I have to change all the workspaces from PPU workspaces to "Fabric Capacity" workspace" to be able to use those objects (dataflows) inside the Fabric workspace? Will then the workspaces that used to be PPU Workspace lose their "special PPU-abilities" (like 48 refreshes/day, Computed entities, Deployment Pipelines...). 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Expanding the Synapse Forums

New forum boards available in Synapse

Ask questions in Data Engineering, Data Science, Data Warehouse and General Discussion.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayFBCUpdateCarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors