Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

arkiboys
Advocate II
Advocate II

transformation of date

hi,

in the fabric dataflow, there is a column of type date, i.e. 30/03/2024

I created a xolumn by example from this column with format of 2024-03-30

and I called this new column: date_formatted

But the type of this new column is text. When I try to change it to date, the format of my new column changed to 30/03/2024

Question, how can I have the new column as date but keeping the format of 2024-03-30    ?

thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
miguel
Community Admin
Community Admin

Data Formatting is something that is handled by your browser settings. Typically in a Data Preparation tool what's crucial is that the correct data type is recognized. If you load this to a Lakehouse, then you might want to check how things are being formatted there or how you want to format data in your reporting layer.

Dataflow / Power Query doesn't have any specific setting to match a particular data formatting for a particular data type. We just inherit and respect whatever setting you have on your browser to display the data following that configuration.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
miguel
Community Admin
Community Admin

Data Formatting is something that is handled by your browser settings. Typically in a Data Preparation tool what's crucial is that the correct data type is recognized. If you load this to a Lakehouse, then you might want to check how things are being formatted there or how you want to format data in your reporting layer.

Dataflow / Power Query doesn't have any specific setting to match a particular data formatting for a particular data type. We just inherit and respect whatever setting you have on your browser to display the data following that configuration.

Hi @arkiboys ,

Glad to know that your query was answered. Please continue using Fabric Community on your further queries.

v-gchenna-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @arkiboys ,

Thanks for using Fabric Community.
I can also find by default it is converting to this format - "30/03/2024" for type date.

At this time, we are reaching out to the internal team to get some help on this .
We will update you once we hear back from them.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayFBCUpdateCarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.