Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

TendaiQA

Copying from Auzre SQL Server to Lakehouse using DataPipeline

Good day, Team 

I followed the steps here :https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/fabric/data-factory/tutorial-move-data-lakehouse-pipeline

The DB has 280 tables with multiple columns. From the lakehouse, I want to create BI reports. 

I am getting the error below:

Activity failed because an inner activity failed; Inner activity name: Copy_b7h, Error: Failure happened on 'destination' side. ErrorCode=DeltaInvalidCharacterInColumnName,'Type=Microsoft.DataTransfer.Common.Shared.HybridDeliveryException,Message=Column name inactive contains invalid characters. ",;{}()\n\t=" are not supported.,Source=Microsoft.DataTransfer.ClientLibrary,'

How best can l resolve this . NB: Multiple tables

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JFTxJ
Advocate II
Advocate II

Based on my experience, I would look for a column name with a whitespace in your source.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
JFTxJ
Advocate II
Advocate II

Based on my experience, I would look for a column name with a whitespace in your source.

Thank you. I just picked it up. There were only a few column names with whitespace causing the error. 

At DB level l ran this query 

USE [Target Db];

SELECT TABLE_SCHEMA, TABLE_NAME
FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS
WHERE COLUMN_NAME = 'Inactive';

Then iterated getting the column names from the error logs. I wonder if there a way to prevent it in the near future.

v-cboorla-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TendaiQA 

Thanks for using Microsoft Fabric Community.

The error message you are encountering in the Microsoft Fabric Pipeline copy activity is due to the presence of invalid characters in a column name.

ErrorCode=DeltaInvalidCharacterInColumnName: This code specifies the error is related to an invalid character in a column name.

Message=Column name inactive contains invalid characters. ",;{}()\n\t=" are not supported.: This clarifies that the column named "inactive" has characters that aren't allowed in Fabric for column names. The specific characters listed are: ",;{}()\n\t="

Troubleshooting steps: The column named "inactive" in your data has characters that aren't allowed in column names at the destination. The specific unsupported characters are ",", ";", "{", "}", "(", ")", "\n", "\t", and "=".

Try to rename the "inactive" column in your destination table to remove the unsupported character. Adhere to your destination database's naming conventions. Consider using underscores (_) or hyphens (-) as separators if needed.

I hope this information helps. Please do let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks.

Hi @TendaiQA 

We haven’t heard from you on the last response and was just checking back to see if you have a resolution yet.
In case if you have any resolution please do share that same with the community as it can be helpful to others.
Otherwise, will respond back with the more details and we will try to help.

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayFBCUpdateCarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors