Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

SumanBindu
Frequent Visitor

what is the maximum data size that can be imported in a pbi file backed by premium p2?

what is the maximum data size that can be imported in a PBI file backed by premium p2? is it equivalent to its memory size, which is 50 Gb? or can I upload 200 Gb of data in import mode in the Premium P2 workspace?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @SumanBindu ,

a single data artifact (a dataset, dataflow) can not exceed the available RAM of the capacity.
If you are on Power BI Premium, the max PBIX file size that can be uploaded is 10GB. This means you have to consider incremental refresh. By default, 10GB is the dataset size within any Power BI Premium capacity. You need to  change the workspace setting to "Large data storage format":
image.png
You will find this setting on the Premium tab of the workspace setting.
This setting will allow Premium-backed datasets to outgrow the 10GB dataset size limit (up to the available RAM of the capacity). The 10GB file size limit (the pbix file) still exists.

Regards,
Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SumanBindu
Frequent Visitor

Hi @TomMartens ,

In a P2 workspace that has a 50Gb memory, can we store multiple reports (let's say 5) with data size of 20gb each?

So overall there is 100gb of data out of which only 20gb is being used at a time if we use only one report at a time  

Hey @SumanBindu ,

the short answer: yes!
The more precise answer;
Please be aware that during publishing from Desktop to the Power BI Service the pbix is split into two artifacts, the dataset and the content.
I consider it essential to be more precise here. Please remember that there is a file (the pbix) size limit. For this reason, you must use incremental refresh, as you can not upload a pbix larger than 10GB. Using incremental refresh has its merits, faster refreshes, larger models. But (of course) it's also important to remember that the merits have their complexities.

My recommendation, whenever incremental refresh is used:

• split the content and data, Use one pbix to develop the data model and configure incremental refresh. Use a second pbix (this pbix is often called a thin report) to develop the content, the data visualizations. The second pbix connects to the Power BI dataset published with the 1st pbix.
  • Get comfortable with tools like Tabular Editor and ALM Toolkit, both tools are essential (from my perspective) if you are working with large datasets and incremental refresh.
  • Test for the initial load, the first time a dataset is refreshed by the Power BI Service that contains incremental refresh. There is a 5hours refresh limit, maybe the initial load will exceed this limit. Then you have to use Tabular Editor to do the initial manually.

Hopefully, this answers your question.

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @SumanBindu ,

a single data artifact (a dataset, dataflow) can not exceed the available RAM of the capacity.
If you are on Power BI Premium, the max PBIX file size that can be uploaded is 10GB. This means you have to consider incremental refresh. By default, 10GB is the dataset size within any Power BI Premium capacity. You need to  change the workspace setting to "Large data storage format":
image.png
You will find this setting on the Premium tab of the workspace setting.
This setting will allow Premium-backed datasets to outgrow the 10GB dataset size limit (up to the available RAM of the capacity). The 10GB file size limit (the pbix file) still exists.

Regards,
Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors