Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Sonalim
Frequent Visitor

undefined

if i am using ms fabric then no need to use power bi desktop ,can i do all reports through power bi online,and i am confused between data flow and ware house ,if i am creating dataflowthen gate way is not needed for refresh,will it be automatically refreshed if iam taking data from warehouse ,and my warehouse is connected with sql server,

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. It depends on you. You can create reports online with the datasets created from lakehouses or warehouses. However, you should consider that Power BI Desktop has way more features for making the users experience more friendly.

About refreshing data it's not about dataflows or other tool that you won't need a gateway, it depends on the source. If the source is on premise it doesn't matter if it's fabric or data factory or dataflows, you will need a gateway.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

Power Bi Desktop can connect to data directly from your laptop. The Gateway is a tool used by PowerBi Service or Fabric in order to connect with Data that is usually onpremise.

So, let's say you have developed a report with Power Bi Desktop connected to a SQL Server. You publish the report to a workspace. Then, PowerBi Service or Fabric will need a Gateway in order to talk with the SQL Server on premise.

The gateway will be required in order to let any cloud services Fabric dataflow, power bi dataflow, power bi dataset, power bi datamart, data factory, etc. to connect with on premise data or some defined sources that even cloud will require gateway like MySQL.

If you have a SQL Server at a cloud service in azure like a Azure SQL Database, you don't need a gateway. However, if you have a sql server on a local environment or a VM, then you should install a gateway to let the powerbi or fabric cloud service talk with the data.

I hope that make sense

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Sonalim
Frequent Visitor

if i am using powerbi platform for power bi desktop the gateway id needed?second i have connected my sql server to build a data warehouse and if i use from there using a data flow then also gateway needed?just get confuding about ms fabric use

Power Bi Desktop can connect to data directly from your laptop. The Gateway is a tool used by PowerBi Service or Fabric in order to connect with Data that is usually onpremise.

So, let's say you have developed a report with Power Bi Desktop connected to a SQL Server. You publish the report to a workspace. Then, PowerBi Service or Fabric will need a Gateway in order to talk with the SQL Server on premise.

The gateway will be required in order to let any cloud services Fabric dataflow, power bi dataflow, power bi dataset, power bi datamart, data factory, etc. to connect with on premise data or some defined sources that even cloud will require gateway like MySQL.

If you have a SQL Server at a cloud service in azure like a Azure SQL Database, you don't need a gateway. However, if you have a sql server on a local environment or a VM, then you should install a gateway to let the powerbi or fabric cloud service talk with the data.

I hope that make sense

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. It depends on you. You can create reports online with the datasets created from lakehouses or warehouses. However, you should consider that Power BI Desktop has way more features for making the users experience more friendly.

About refreshing data it's not about dataflows or other tool that you won't need a gateway, it depends on the source. If the source is on premise it doesn't matter if it's fabric or data factory or dataflows, you will need a gateway.

I hope that helps,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Thank u for your reply

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors