Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

report built on dataset in a different workspace - which permissions are needed?

Hello,

I have a dataset which is shared with the organization through an app. A colleague is building content based on this dataset (has build permissions). Do the users accessing the content my colleague is building need any additional permissions on the original dataset if the original dataset is already shared with the entire org through an app? Do they also need build permissions?

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

The offical document about shared datasets might be helpful for you.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-datasets-build-permissions 

Also check the considerations-and-limitations for datasets across workspaces.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jay,

Unfortunately the documentation is not helpful at all.

However I did find out that for a user to be able to see data in a report built on top of a shared dataset it is necessary for that the user to have build permission on the original dataset. 

I see this as a huge issue as this means that someone that publishes a dataset for others to build off of needs to implement whatever security context is needed downstream. In other words there is no separation of concerns, i.e. user A makes available a dataset, user B builds off of that dataset and shares the content further but the users of whatever user B built also require build access to the original dataset. This makes little sense in my opinion. First of all, why build and not just read? Secondly it should be the responsibility of the downstream builder to handle any sort of security they may wish to observe, this should not impact the security context around the original dataset. Or there should at least be an option to propagate or defer permission sets to downstream.

Regards,

TDM

RJ251997
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can follow this link its helpful for you.

https://www.fourmoo.com/2019/10/08/power-bi-bulk-changing-permissions-read-reshare-build-on-datasets/

Thank & Regards 

Rohit Jaiswal

Anonymous
Not applicable

Rohit, sorry, I don't see how this helps.

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors