Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

QC
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

"Make changes to this model" not available with: DirectQuery + Power BI dataset under "My Workplace"

Hi Team, 

I am using Power BI Desktop Nov. 2022: when I connect to PBI dataset published by my colleagues (under their personal workplace), I was able to see the "Make changes" options in both top ribbon and bottom right corner. However, when I connect to PBI dataset published by myself in "My Workplace", all "make changes" options are completely disabled. I didn't check the optoin box for "Discourage DQ connection" for my datasets, in fact, they all connect live ok, just not able to modify or add a local table.

Could someone point me to the right direction? It seems odd that I can modify sth. published by others but not myself. I need this function because I have multiple PBI datasets for different resources/purposes, I want to interconnect them to create reports, rather than duplicating the same data over and over.

Thanks!

Capture.JPG

2 REPLIES 2
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @QC ,

The solution was to have an admin create a new workspace, and give me "contributor" permissions for that workspace. 

You can refer to the following posts that may be helpful to you:

"Make changes" not available after switching on Di... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Hi Neeko, 

Thanks for your help. My inquiry is different in that I am trying to modify PBI published by myself under my own workplace. The case / solution above is for admin to create workplace and give OP permission. I am already admin for my own workplace. It seems an odd design choice by PBI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors