Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Johann_32
Advocate II
Advocate II

"Allow Live Connection" missing

Hello,

in our Tenant settings, the option "Allow Live Connection" is missing since a couple of months. I cannot find any information that this option was deprecated or is now included in another option.

The only thing I can say is, that with "Users can work with Power BI datasets in Excel using a live connection" option, Live Connection as well as Analyze in Excel is enabled. But as we do not want to have also Analysis in Excel enabled, we need a solution.

The question is what about for exampling enabling Live connection in general for using shared datasets in Power BI Desktop? Is there no longer an option to do this separately?

Can somebody help me what could be the problem here or am I missing something?

Thanks

Johann

3 REPLIES 3
ArkaSoftwares
Regular Visitor

It's possible that the "Allow Live Connection" option has been moved or renamed in the Power BI service. However, it's also possible that the option is no longer available.

In general, to enable live connections to shared datasets in Power BI Desktop, you need to have the "Allow external embedding and sharing of content" option enabled in your Power BI tenant settings. This option allows users to share reports, dashboards, and datasets with external users and embed them in external websites and applications.

If this option is not enabled, you may not be able to use live connections to shared datasets in Power BI Desktop. However, you can still use import mode to connect to the shared datasets and refresh them manually or on a schedule.

Regarding your specific issue, if you don't want to enable "Users can work with Power BI datasets in Excel using a live connection" option in your tenant settings, you can try using a different approach to share your datasets. For example, you can create a workspace in Power BI and invite your colleagues to collaborate on it. You can then publish your dataset to this workspace and set up a scheduled refresh for it. Your colleagues can then connect to this dataset from their own Power BI Desktop and use import mode to work with it.

I hope this helps!

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. All the settings are in there but the names might not be as you expect. For example, live connection for power bi shared datasets is: "Use datasets across workspaces".

I hope that's what you were looking for

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Thank you both for your good answers!

@ibarrau: I checked this setting "Use datasets across workspacs" and it is enabled globally, still I wasnt able to connect to a shared dataset (I have build permission and am Admin of the workspace).

I did a test and added myself to "Users can work with Power BI datasets in Excel using a live connection" and now, I can connect to the shared dataset without any problem.

This means, that this option also needs to be granted to be able to use shared datasets.. is this a bug or can it be meant to be used in that way?
I find it very problematic because we are not allowing Analyze in Excel.

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors