Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

KristofDM
Frequent Visitor

power bi gateway - recovery key testing - validation

Hi, as we are preparing a change to our environment, we are looking for means to 'test' the recovery key we have. 

To add nodes to the cluster for example one should have the recovery key.

Now we have the key but need to make sure it is actually the right one and working so we dont hit this issue during change execution.  

The gateway is also used for power apps so we can't just go ahead and change it as it will render the power apps connections useless (as opposed to PBI where the credentials get re-encrypted automatically. ) 

Would there be some kind of command line / PowerShell way to test the recovery key in advance?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It appears it is impossible to test a recovery key.

Therefore as suggested by @v-lionel-msft  i submitted this idea. 

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=4a9c7759-14d3-ea11-bf22-501ac5247547

Br, Kristof

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @KristofDM,

there certainly is.

If you look at PowerShell Cmdlets for On-premises data gateway management (Public Preview) you'll find several commands to manage your gateway.

In particular you can use Add-DataGatewayCluster with the parameter -RecoveryKey to add a cluster.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Hi @nickyvv ,

Thanks for the link to the modules but this does not solve the quest for the testing of the current key of the current gateway. 

I did find that adding members to the gateway is not supported by the modules (yet). 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Data-Gateway-Automation-using-PowerShell-Part-1/ba-p...

Hi @KristofDM ,

Maybe you can do this.

Step1:

Set new recovery key

v-lionel-msft_0-1596178369598.png

Step2: 

Enter the old recovery key and the new recovery key ( The new recovery key must be the same as the old recovery key), if you can modify it successfully, it means your old recovery key is correct.

v-lionel-msft_1-1596178436196.png

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-lionel-msft, thanks for your reply, 

We could but this renders the connections for 'flow -power- automate- logic- apps' useless and would thus require these users to re-enter all their cred's. so also not great solution.  or wont it since its the same key... perhaps to be tested... 

there seems to be no real solution without actually changing something to the service it seems. 😞

Hi @KristofDM ,

Your suggestion is very useful, it is really not a good way to solve this problem, please submit your idea .

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

It appears it is impossible to test a recovery key.

Therefore as suggested by @v-lionel-msft  i submitted this idea. 

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=4a9c7759-14d3-ea11-bf22-501ac5247547

Br, Kristof

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors