Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

StijnJanssen
Regular Visitor

power BI gateway connection issues

Dear all, 

Within Power BI Desktop we are making a connection with a SQL database and can choose for a import or directquery connection.

Without a personal gateway I can get realtime data in the webservice, thats why I use the online service for a direct connection. 

Now when I try to add a second datasource like excel, salesforce or google analytics to combine data I cannot use the direct query anymore but need to switch to import, but when I switch I receive the message to install a personal gateway to be able to have a combined data source dashboard which shows me realtime data online. 

Is there anyone who can give insights on this matter? 

Below link seems like my issue?

@Anonymous 

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/power-BI-gateway-connection-issues/m-p/84197#M6208

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@StijnJanssen

If you want to use DirectQuery, all tables must come from a single database. So if you want to add a second datasource, you need to swith to Import mode.

For the reason to use personal gateway, it is just like you mentioned above. Currently, on-premise data gateway doesn't support OAuth2 based authentication. We are not able to add the online data sources in data gateway as well as on-premise data sources, so that we can't configure this kind of combined dataset to use data gateway. The workaround is to use on-premise data gateway (personal mode).

PG have started working on the data gateway and ETA is end of August. See: Combine enterprise gateway and online data sources.

power BI gateway connection issues_1.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@StijnJanssen

Do you have any other problem about it?

Best Regards,
Herbert

HI Herbert, 

no other issues. It seems the conslusion is we need to wait till end of august?

@StijnJanssen

Yes, we just need to wait for the new version according to the reply from product team.

Best Regards,
Herbert

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@StijnJanssen

If you want to use DirectQuery, all tables must come from a single database. So if you want to add a second datasource, you need to swith to Import mode.

For the reason to use personal gateway, it is just like you mentioned above. Currently, on-premise data gateway doesn't support OAuth2 based authentication. We are not able to add the online data sources in data gateway as well as on-premise data sources, so that we can't configure this kind of combined dataset to use data gateway. The workaround is to use on-premise data gateway (personal mode).

PG have started working on the data gateway and ETA is end of August. See: Combine enterprise gateway and online data sources.

power BI gateway connection issues_1.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors