Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

junezhon_i
Frequent Visitor

error by connecting Azure sql database to power bi

Hi ,

I was trying to connect to Azure sql database with a dataflow in Power BI, but the error msg is showing up (Unexpected Error (Session ID: 429feaa1-0bde-472f-8259-a8e969dd7cd1, Region: europe)).

Since my server region is set up in Europe, and I am connecting the sql database inside China, I am wondering is this a reason why the connection fails due to the data protection policy in Europe? My colleague who is working in Europe can connect to the Azure sql database as a dataflow in PowerBI, and it's working totally fine. 

2 REPLIES 2
v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @junezhon_i ,

I want to confirm something with you:

1. could you please connect to the Azure SQL successfully by Power BI Desktop ?

2. if step 1 is well, publish to service and edit the data source credentials, then refresh the dataset.

Please tell me if refreshing will report an error.

3. please confirm the firewall in Azure SQL doesn't prohibit the ip

4. if you connect to Azure SQL with Mooncake Power BI Service, please use gateway

Thanks for your efforts & time in advance.

Best regards,
Community Support Team_ Binbin Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-binbinyu-msft 

Yes, I could connect to the Azure SQL sucessfully by Power BI Desktop Successfull . but based on my company's use case , I want to connect to the Azure sql database by using the dataflow in the service.  

If I connect to the Azure SQL by Power BI desktop , then it's like the users connect to the azure sql directly and they could refresh the data by themselves whatever they want. This could lead to over refreshing on the data, we don't wanna see this happen.  I only want users refresh the data based on the dataflow  , in this case,  we can ensure the workload of refreshing is not overused.

And when I tried to connect to Azure sql via Dataflow in service , the error msg(above) showed up

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors