Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

spinachrice
Frequent Visitor

dataset refresh stuck / Cannot be updated via ALM toolkit either

Hi all, 

Wonder if anyone had similar issue. We have a dataset published to a premium workspace, refreshing data from snowflake server via XMLA endpoint. It usually takes 15 min for the dataset to refresh, but yesterday around 12:00PM all of a sudden the refresh seems to be stuck. I cancelled the XMLA endpoint refresh, triggered a manual refresh from pbi service, still not progressing. No error but just stuck for over an hour. I cancelled that. Thought if i just refresh a small table from SSMS it should tell me if it's due to the size. Even the smallest table would not refresh. 

I then tried to update a measure from ALM TOOLKIT, and the deployment would not go through either. It just says committing changes on the bottom left of ALM toolkit for over an hour while usually this process takes 30 seconds. 

In the end i had to republish the same dataset again, and hasn't encountered any issues with the refresh of the new dataset. 

This is the 2nd time this has happened, and it has been causing quite a big disruption to our critcal reporting. 

Wonder if anyone know how to mitigate this or where i can get in touch with the power bi team for some support? 

Thank you

Yachee

3 REPLIES 3
maygz
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

We've been facing the same challenge and MSFT hass been requesting lots of logs but no resolution. Only workaround seems to create a duplicate dataset, refresh it and repoint all the dashboards to this new dataset. Everynow and then, if the engineer is good one, they restart the capacity and it fixes the issue but usually this only happens by change as we are in an AEST timezone and the US based teams are not available.

Their support team has not been helpful as they are usually asking if the problem is solved and whether they can close the ticket (without ever coming back to a resolution or timeline for the fix). My team feels this is a product defect. 

We have Power BI Premium P3, use vNet Gateway and have Snowflake Private Link.

spinachrice
Frequent Visitor

I forgot to mention, our data engineer also monitor the snowflake warehouse queries while i triggered the refresh, we confirmed that the query are not been sent to snwoflake at all. So it doesn't seems like a data warehouse capacity issue either. 

Same table from other dataset has been refreshed without any problem, and the query of other datasets are hitting the data warehouse. 

We have monitored the same way and have the same scenario. What is your set up of the data pipeline. i.e. Do you use vNet Gateway, Snow Private Link etc..? Has Microsoft come back you.. Any suggestion on a workaround?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors