Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

data alert

Hi everyone

I tried to manaage alert from streaming data in power bi but I cant find any manage alert option when i clicked on the upper right of the tile on dashboard.

I thought maybe because I need pro license but then I read somewhere I actually dont need pro license to set alert from my workspace. I tried using the sample with current account no pro license then I able to manage alert. 

Can someone guide me the steps to manage alert or maybe clarify my problem please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ibarrau

Thank you for the solution. 

I created the report first and save, then pin it to dashboard. Then I can manage alert successfully. 

The humidity level came out in weird value because apparently I mislook there is advanced setting to set only average value is shown.

Thank you again.

Best regards, 

Jannah

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Which visualization are you using? how are you creating it? be sure to follow the instructions:

"Alerts can be set on tiles pinned from report visuals or from Power BI Q&A, and only on gauges, KPIs, and cards."

You must pin the tile from a report and it only work for three visuals. You can read more about them here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/consumer/end-user-alerts

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Thank you for your response.

I used card visualization. I got streaming data from Azure and saved it in my workspace. Then I created a dashboard there and add a tile in card visualization tha contained real time data that I got from Azure.

Then from that, I tried to manage alert but i cant find that option on the tile. I attached the screenshot of created tile on dashboard.

So thats the background of my problem , it helps a lot if you can identify what is the problem and solution. 

Thank you.tileondashboard.png

Hi. Ok, the visual is ok. However the card doesn't look ok. Are you pinning that from a Report with of a Streaming datasets? The only alerts you can set are for the three visuals pinned from a report. You have to build an streaming dataset first. Then create a report with that and finally pin the visual to a dashboard.

I hope that make sense.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, I noticed something that might be a hint for the solution but I am not sure how to utilize it. Please refer to image I attached below.

The streaming data that I wanted to use is datafromENV. The last data set sales and marketing sample is a sample that I took from power bi when I practising, when I used that data sample, manage alert is available and the data sets can be refreshed. But my data set datafromENV have no refresh icon beside it and when I looked I noticed the symbol/icon of both data sets at the left side of it is different. Wht is the meaning of the both icons? datasets.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

By the way, instead of dashboard I tried to create a report containing streaming datasets but it shows weird value on the card. It supposed to show humidity in percent.powerbireport.png

That's good to know. If you want to format your numbers, you should connect the Power Bi Streaming dataset with Power Bi Desktop first to create a report. In there you can create Measures that can be formated for those aggregations you are doing in the page.

About the dataset icon, the icon shows what type of dataset is that. The sample one is an imported dataset, the other ones are streaming datasets.

I hope that helps,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, thank you for replying

I am not pinning it from reports.

In my workspace, I created a dashboard then I add a tile with card visual to dashboard containing streaming real time data. I attached a screenshot as well.dashboard.png

That's why you can't pin. Open Power Bi Desktop and connect to a Power Bi Dataset. Check your streaming dataset. You can create measures in that Desktop to help you with calculations or number formatting (like the percentage you said before).

Then create a card in the report, publish and pin it to dashboard 🙂

Regards,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ibarrau

Thank you for the solution. 

I created the report first and save, then pin it to dashboard. Then I can manage alert successfully. 

The humidity level came out in weird value because apparently I mislook there is advanced setting to set only average value is shown.

Thank you again.

Best regards, 

Jannah

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors