Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

SajjadMousavi
Helper II
Helper II

Using personal gateway with SSAS

I already have on-premise data gateway (standard mode) installed. Today, I editted one of my reports to connect to SSAS instead of two Excel files. Report is refreshed in Power BI Desktop without any problem. I uploaded it to Power BI service and tried to add SSAS data source to data hub and refresh it, of course with no luck, because gateway requires me to be DB admin in standard mode and I'm not - and will never be! So, I installed gateway in personal mode - site by side with standard. Then I tried to create a data source in data hub, but it fails:

SajjadMousavi_2-1657716841996.png

I have no option to tell Power BI service to go through personal gateway (this error was already there before installing personal mode gateway). Should I add personal gateway to cluster? If yes, how? If no, what else should I do?

SajjadMousavi_3-1657716860826.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I know this is not a solution, but may help others facing this issue. I finally managed to solve my problem using a SSIS package with OLE DB data source and MDX queries to bring data to local SQL Server and connecting report to it. At least it works and my report can be refreshed in Power BI service.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. The docs says that you cannot use a Personal Gateway to connect SSAS. The live connecto to SSAS is only for standard.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-personal-mode

You should talk with your company to help them understand the requirements to setup a gateway. If they won't give you admin permissions maybe the would configure themselves with your guide or something like that.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

I know this is not a solution, but may help others facing this issue. I finally managed to solve my problem using a SSIS package with OLE DB data source and MDX queries to bring data to local SQL Server and connecting report to it. At least it works and my report can be refreshed in Power BI service.

Hi.

Thanks for your anwser. Bad news are:

• I cannot use LiveConnect because I have some Excel and SQL Server data sources in my report, hence standard mode will not work
  • I read in some post here that I can use personal gateway for this purpose! But seems I cannot use this also!
  • Our company won't give me admin rights, neither will help me configuring Power BI service!

So, I'm working on another solution: Using SSIS to bring data to SQL Server and use it as data source. But I have stuck there too (This post on stackoverflow).

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors