Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

1up
Helper III
Helper III

Users can view data in some reports but not others within the same app with RLS enabled

Hi,

We have an App using RLS. Within the same app, the same user can view data in two reports, but not in two others. All are to our eyes set up the same way, using the same RLS-setup / user groups for each report.

Granted, the reports are based on different datasets, however when testing to view data as role in Power Bi desktop, data can be viewed for users which in the service are unable to view data.

Are there any known issues / bugs worth knowing about, or any common setting we might have missed?

For us as owners and members of the workspace, we are able to view all data in all reports.

We are using lean reports, that means to say the report is seperate from the dataset. The dataset happen to include old report content. We assume the filters of the lean report is determining the access for our users, and disregarding the report content in the dataset itself. Or is this assumption perhaps not correct? Could a filter in a dataset be causing users not to be able to view data in the report? Seeing as RLS is enabled at the dataset-level, rather than the report-level.

Thanks,

//Daniel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
1up
Helper III
Helper III

Case is solved. Using RLS for our reports, the naming convetion for the User Principle Name in Azure had been adjusted since the report was initially created, resulting in key not matching and thus no data shown. Adjusting the user princple name for our users to match the new naming standard in Azure solved the access issue.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
1up
Helper III
Helper III

Case is solved. Using RLS for our reports, the naming convetion for the User Principle Name in Azure had been adjusted since the report was initially created, resulting in key not matching and thus no data shown. Adjusting the user princple name for our users to match the new naming standard in Azure solved the access issue.

1up
Helper III
Helper III

Thanks for reply. The set to default-button is greyed out, so assume default is used then?

Below is the error message for one of the two reports that didn't work yesterday, it still isn't working.

1up_0-1671174364892.png

The other of the two reports is working today. The changes I have done since yesterday was deploy from test environment into prod, and to remove RLS in Security for the dataset, and then add it back again.

We have links to a sharepoint, for which the content isn't showing either currently. I think those two document links in sharepoint are set up with the same user groups, that is the intended setup however. Not sure if that could impact the viewing of other reports though.

Further ideas are welcome.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @1up 

What is the error they are getting on the report?

Or is the report just blank?

I would start by asking the users to do a reset to default and see if that solves the issue?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

We're still facing the issue, not sure really what to try next. One report in the app works, the other doesn't, although the security / access settings seem identical. But of course, something is causing the non-functioning report to not display data, it is the same for all slicers and visuals, no data is shown.

Have tried refreshing the dataset with no luck. For the non-functioning report looking in the lineage view, the report is connected to two datasets in series. One is the main dataset, the other a small dataset that always is created in the service when publishing the report from PBI Desktop. This shouldn't be causing the issue I think at least.

Further ideas in general or about the error message is welcome.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors