Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Usage Metrics Not Capturing Everyone

Hello everyone,

It seems that the usage metrics within PowerBI Pro is not capturing all the users. We've given all the users full permission. Does it matter if they access the reports through the email link vs actually logging into PowerBI?

Also, I read that we could get an audit log if the usage metrics still can't be fixed. Can someone walk me through how to obtain an audit log to see the users and which reports they accessed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

The usage metrics gets the data from the users browser. If the browser has ad blocking software or something similar it will not correctly capture the data.

Here is my blog post on how to capture and store the audit logs in Azure: https://www.fourmoo.com/2020/02/12/how-you-can-store-all-your-power-bi-audit-logs-easily-and-indefin...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

• The usage metrics can take up to 24 hours for data to update. In addtion, usage metrics may sometimes undercount activities due to inconsistent network connections, ad blockers, or other issues that can disrupt sending the events from the client.

The more limitations of usage metrics, please refer to document below:

Monitor usage metrics for Power BI dashboards and reports

• About audit logs, please make sure you are a global admin to visit it firstly. You can visit Office 365 Security & Compliance website to search audit logs about users and which report they have accessed.search logs.pngaudit logs.png

More details about audit logs, you can refer this document: Track user activities in Power BI 

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

The usage metrics gets the data from the users browser. If the browser has ad blocking software or something similar it will not correctly capture the data.

Here is my blog post on how to capture and store the audit logs in Azure: https://www.fourmoo.com/2020/02/12/how-you-can-store-all-your-power-bi-audit-logs-easily-and-indefin...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors