Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

wtdpon
Helper I
Helper I

Urgent - Issue with RLS when updating dataset

Hi all,

We have a report that is used by different departments in the company. In this report we have different user dimension tables that we use to manage RLS where TableDep[email] = username().

Just today we changed the dataset for the report, the underlaying data is the same, we made sure of having same names, relationships, etc (although steps in transform data are different). But the source has moved to dataflows instead of excel/sql.

After updating the dataset (we uploaded with same name so the old one would be replaced), the users cannot see any data at all. We are guessing it's because something 'broke' regarding rls but we cannot find anything weird.

Has anyone experience something similar? Any ideas of what could be happening?

Much appreciated, thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @wtdpon ,

After passing my tests, when I update the data source, the rls rules will disappear, even though the role is still saved.
Please check that the RLS rules in Desktop and the rules in Service still exist after you update the dataset.
If it doesn't exist, refer to the documentation to reconfigure and publish on dsektop and then assign on the service.

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
wtdpon
Helper I
Helper I

That seemed to work! Thanks!

wtdpon
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @v-tangjie-msft , thanks a lot for your reply. I can confirm that the rules still exist in desktop and that the user's email are still aded in the rls online.

Should we try deleting and reapplying the rules?

Hi @wtdpon ,

Yes, please try to recreate.

Please make sure that the user has read-only permissions to the underlying dataset (the data source is a dataflow).

You can refer to the following documents that may be helpful to you:

Row-level security (RLS) guidance in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Connect to data created by Power Platform dataflows in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @wtdpon ,

After passing my tests, when I update the data source, the rls rules will disappear, even though the role is still saved.
Please check that the RLS rules in Desktop and the rules in Service still exist after you update the dataset.
If it doesn't exist, refer to the documentation to reconfigure and publish on dsektop and then assign on the service.

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors