Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

KonstantinDA
Frequent Visitor

Update error: unable to combine data (filtering API with another query source)

Hello,

I know that this is not the first topic on this issue. I have read every one. And tried all the suggested options too.

But at least now I have enough knowledge to say that the problem is the following.

I have 2 connections:
1) API via token (anonymous, none). In this source, I have a service with a huge dataset.
2) Sharepoint.Files (OAuth2, organizational). From here I take the xlsx file, in which colleagues enter the names of organizations that are interesting to them this year (the file is sometimes updated).
Loading tables with millions of rows via the API is probably possible, but inconvenient. And the only data to filter the API request is the list of organizations from Sharepoint. And as soon as I start using data from this table in any way (merge, vlookup, list/parameter, query in query, table staging) to filter the request API I get this error. No combinations, privacy levels, etc. solve the problem.

Error in data source: [Unable to combine data] Section1/SourceFields/GetPage references other queries or steps, so it may not directly access a data source. Please rebuild this data combination.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface. Table: SourceFields.
URI cluster: WABI-NORTH-EUROPE-F-PRIMARY-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Action ID: abf0fd63-093f-4910-a45f-076f1242f366
Query ID: 6eb61ed1-3ed5-c71f-4c65-3594b6c85e7d

I have a feeling that there is some very simple way, but I'm too dumb to notice it.

Thank you in advance. Konstantin.

3 REPLIES 3
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KonstantinDA ,

Have your problem solved ?

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KonstantinDA ,

One reason for this problem is privacy setting which don’t allow multiple sources in single query. Check privacy settings in your report file and every data source used.

For more you can refer to 

Power BI refresh error: Unable to combine data and workarounds – Meant to BI

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

OK, thank you! I will try this workaround and come back with feedback.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors