Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Sujitha21
Frequent Visitor

Unable to connect to Azure Databricks from Power BI online

Hello,

I am unable to connect to Azure Databricks from Power BI online whereas with the same connection details, it works in Power BI Desktop. I used the 'Organizational Account' as the authentication type in Power BI Online.

Error:

An exception occurred: DataSource.Error: ODBC: ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][ThriftExtension] (14) Unexpected response from server during HTTP connection: Bad Status: Unrecognized response:HTTP/1.1 302 Found. (Session ID: 172b5189-32b7-4e2b-b5ce-3fec95f91f5f, Region: Europe)
MicrosoftTeams-image (6).png

8 REPLIES 8
arunh100

Hi Team

Even I am facing same issue getting error while signing on Edit Credentials for Azure Databricks in Power BI Service Semantic Model settings

Getting error: 

Failed to update data source credentials: ODBC: ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][ThriftExtension] (14) Unexpected response from server during a HTTP connection: Bad Status: Unrecognized response:HTTP/1.1 302 Found.

I am able to connect to Azure Data Bricks using AAD authentication in Power BI Desktop but it is failing in Power BI Service using Oauth

Please let us know the solution for this

MedK

Hi Sujitha,

Were you able to figure out a solution for this issue ? I m facing the same probleme

Regards

v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi ,  @Sujitha21 

Based on my search and understanding on the current error message you met: "Unexpected response from server during HTTP connection: Bad Status: Unrecognized response:HTTP/1.1 302 Found"

The error message means that the server has responded with a "Bad Status" code indicating that it has encountered an unexpected error while processing the HTTP request. Specifically, the server is responding with a "302 Found" status code, which suggests that the requested resource has been temporarily moved to a different location. However, the "Unrecognized response" aspect of the error message suggests that the server may be experiencing an issue that it is not able to properly handle, which could be the cause of the "302 Found" status code being returned unexpectedly.

If possible, would you like to kindly check and tell what's the authorization method you used when connecting to Azure Databricks in the Power BI desktop? If necessary, would you like to disable the gateway connection to directly edit credential in the Power BI service dataset settings because this is a cloud datasource, and the "edit credential" will redirect to the OAuth2 sign-in page for the AAD sign in, if the OAuth2 sign-in  also failed, would you like to also try to use the "Basic" kind of credential given for the configuration.

For more reference regarding your dataset refresh configuration scenario, please refer to this official document part:

Data refresh in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Hi, Thanks for your response.

I am using the Azure AD Authentication and not using the gateway connection. I did try with basic credentials, it also did not work in Power Online. Both of the authentication works perfectly fine in Power BI Desktop.

Hi, @Sujitha21 

According to your description, you tried both authentication on Power BI Service without success, but in Desktop it did.

For your question, you need to check whether your data source is only accessible on a private network, not on a public network. Second, does your data source have some firewall in place that blocks access to Power BI Service?

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Hi Aniya,

Our Databricks is on Private Network . Please provide Steps to enable connection between Databricks Warehouse(on Private Network) and PowerBI Portal. We are getting following Error while setting connection of Report's Dataset in PowerBI Portal.Note: Report works fine in PowerBI Desktop but getting this error in PowerBI Portal. Please advise . Thank you.

Error Message:

Failed to update data source credentials: ODBC: ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][ThriftExtension] (14) Unexpected response from server during a HTTP connection: Bad Status: Unrecognized response:HTTP/1.1 302 Found.Hide details

Activity ID:a5986289-80cf-475e-9fc2-113657056da2
Request ID:894e2904-553d-e522-b080-c159e82109c8
Status code:400
Time:Fri Aug 25 2023 17:07:45 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
Service version:13.0.21358.61
Client version:2308.2.15305-train
Cluster URI: 

Mohamed_Alazoni_0-1692997593675.png

Mohamed_Alazoni_5-1692998011100.pngMohamed_Alazoni_6-1692998022631.png

The same Report works fine locally  in PowerBI Desktop 

Mohamed_Alazoni_7-1692998083882.png

Hi Mohamed_Alazoni

Even I am facing same issue. Did you get the steps for connecting Azure Databricks Private network with Power BI Service as it is working fine in Power BI Desktop and not in Power BI Service.

Getting below error:

Failed to update data source credentials: ODBC: ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][ThriftExtension] (14) Unexpected response from server during a HTTP connection: Bad Status: Unrecognized response:HTTP/1.1 302 Found

Regards

Arun Hariharan

Hi ,

Our Databricks was also on a private network, so we established a VNET gateway set up inorder to resolve this issue. 
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/vnet/overview

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors