Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

GregCet
Helper I
Helper I

Unable To Combine Data - SQL Query referencing other table

Hello,

I have a large query which was creating multiple tables and then merging into one output table. This was working within Power BI Desktop but not on Power BI Service (for purposes of setting up scheduled refresh) with the Unable To Combine Data error that is common.

I followed the advice to break this query up into multiple staging queries which still did not work but allowed me to narrow down the issue to one part which is an SQL query. This is querying a very large table from an Azure SQL database and then merging it to a previously created table in the M query. This step looks like this:

#"SQL" = Sql.Database("REDACTED", "REDACTED", [Query="select a.business_partner_no, c.gender_desc  as 'Gender',datediff(year, date_of_birth, getdate()) as 'Age', b.Max_club_member_creation_dt from cust.dim_business_partner a left join (select business_partner_no, max(club_member_creation_dt) as 'Max_club_member_creation_dt' from cust.dim_club group by business_partner_no) b on a.business_partner_no = b.business_partner_no left join cust.dim_gender c on a.gender = c.gender_id" & #"Generate list"]),

You can see here where the previous table is turned into a list to compare/merge with the sql query (as the Azure SQL db has millions of rows but the new table only has hundreds of rows.

I have not been able to find an answer on google about whether this is possible to do with power bi service. Other than bringing in all rows from the sql db in another query then merging (I tried this but it crashed PBI desktop due to the memory load) I am stuck as to how to get this to work.

As stated, this works totally fine in PBI desktop, just not on service.

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
wikkleyn
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @GregCet  If it is a large table, I would suggest importing the raw data in a dataflow and then doing the merge in a linked entity. That way you make use of the enhanced compute engine. 

https://ssbipolar.com/2018/10/23/dataflows-in-power-bi-overview-part-6-linked-and-computed-entities/

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors