Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

phchu1226
Helper IV
Helper IV

Shifting ownership of report/dashboard/dataset

Hello,

Some colleagues are going to leave soon, is Power BI able to shift the ownership of report/dashboard/dataset rather than download the pbix file one by one and re-publish by another account and re-build all the dashboard and the subscription?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. The best way to keep the consistency of Power Bi is having the pbix. It is very important that the people leaving send you the original pbix files so you can continue future changes. Then from service you can go to datasets settings and "Take Over" the control of the dataset. Be sure they add you as admin in the workspaces and also in the gateways (in case you have).

With all that done, you will be able to modify whatever you need. 

If they have built things in "My Workspace" then it is a problem because I don't think you can migrate dashboards and you might need to publish all over again.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. The best way to keep the consistency of Power Bi is having the pbix. It is very important that the people leaving send you the original pbix files so you can continue future changes. Then from service you can go to datasets settings and "Take Over" the control of the dataset. Be sure they add you as admin in the workspaces and also in the gateways (in case you have).

With all that done, you will be able to modify whatever you need. 

If they have built things in "My Workspace" then it is a problem because I don't think you can migrate dashboards and you might need to publish all over again.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Hi @ibarrau ,

I tried "Take over" and it works, it is able to connect the data source through my gateway now and the dataset is able to refresh too.

One more question want to ask, my colleague set some subscriptions for the dashboard, and now those subscriptions are not visible on my account, do I need to migrate those subsciprtions one by one as his account will be disable soon.. thank you

phchu1226_0-1636527572933.png

Sadly I think the subscriptions are configurations of each user. So those are in their account and can't be migrated. You should created them again in another account. I would suggest to have a service account in order to remove the dependecy from a user. 

Regards,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

@ibarrau ,

Yes, that's what I want to do now, consolidate all the ownership and subscriptions of report with one account, it seems more easy to manage..

Thank you for your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors