Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

CJDA

Sharing dashboard with external users only gives them access for a limited time

Hello,

I'm experiencing a problem with sharing reports to some of my users via my workspace. These users are external guest users within our tenant.

I can share reports with these users, but they can only view the reports for limited amount of time (a few days). Afterwards, I have to share the report again in order for them to be able to access the contents.

These external users do not disappear from the Access-tab within the Workspace once they can't view the report. But as I said, sharing the report again does give them access for a limited time.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, or does anyone happen to have a solution?

I'd be happy to answer further questions about this problem.

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @CJDA ,

How do you share contents to the external users? You add them by Share option? Or you add them into your workspace directly? And does it happen to the specific dashboard or all the dashboards and reports? 

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Xue Ding,

Thanks for your reply! We add the users to invidual reports and dashboards by using the Share-option. The problem seems to occur with all dashboards and reports.

King regards,

Cees

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @CJDA ,

WHen you share the report, are you using the "share" functionality or are you copying and pasteing the URL?  If you are sending them the share through the system, and not the URL, are they accepting the invitation or just clicking on the report? 

You mentioned that they get the report for a few days and then you have to re-share.  Does something happen that resets their permissions (like the report is re-uploaded)?

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Hi clinic,

Thanks for your reply. When I share the report, I use the 'share'-functionality. 

The only option my users have when I share the report this way, is to click on the 'Open this report/dashboard' button in the email-notification.

When changes to reports are made, we do re-upload reports by overwriting the original report, but this hasn't been an issue with any of our internal users. Next time we re-upload a report, I'll make note of whether or not this affects the permissions of external guest users. Good suggestion, thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors