Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sharing Direct Query Dataset with External User

Hi Guys,
I have a DirectQuery dataset, where I am bringing data from SQL Server. When I am trying to send this to external user, he was unable to access database on my side. Is there any way to send the Direct Query dataset, so that he can enter the database credentials and load it on his side.

I am asking this dumb question, as I have sent another datamodel, where the data will be coming from dataflows through import mode. So when he entered the database credentials in Power BI service, it worked.

But not working with DirectQuery. Need some suggestions on this.
Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have sent the direct query dataset by refrshing it on my side. And I directly published it on Customers(External User) PBI Service account. I have entered Database credentials on PBI Service (Edit credentials section).
Later I have created a report file and connected with the above dataset. 
So the dataset is refreshing regularly on the cloud and the report is working fine

***I think it worked as the database was on the Azure. 
Also came to know about this option, which was in the latest version of Power BI
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-september-2022-feature-summary/#post-20773-_Toc113...

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous ,

Has your problem been solved, if so, please consider Accept a correct reply as the solution or share your own solution to help others find it.

Best Regards
Lucien

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

In Direct Query mode the data stays at the source, so there is no way to "send the dataset".  

Is your gateway setup correctly?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors