Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

spider_Monkey
Helper I
Helper I

Securely embed Power BI Dashboard

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has experiance deploying a public embeded behind a secure login.

Basically we have a website that is secured by a login/password. We want to have everyone see the dashboard and not everyone will have a MS login.

If we use the public embed our concern is anyone can see this so we are trying to find a way to use the embed and lock it down so not everyone and their uncle can see. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @spider_Monkey 

As far as I am aware using the Power BI  public embed will always be accessible for anyone who has the link

If you. want to securely share your power BI dashboard you can use secure embed.

But when using secure embed it will require a power bi licence.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

v-heq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @spider_Monkey ,

Based on your description, it appears that you want to display the power bi report as specific content to logged in users, whether or not they have a Microsoft account. Using secure embedding of reports as mentioned by GilbertQ is partially possible to achieve the functionality you need, but only if any user who wants to view the report needs to take the login step. Based on the results of my search for documentation on a similar issue, you could try using the publish to web feature and then set a rule on your site to make the report visible only to logged in users. Reports using the publish to web feature don't require a login or license to be visible to users, and after your site is set up to be visible only to logged in users, it completes your idea.
You can refer to the following documentation and blog on secure embedding:

Embed a report in a secure portal or website - Power BI | Microsoft Learn
Easily embed secure Power BI reports in your internal portals or websites | Microsoft Power BI Blog ...
For the description and limitations of the publish to web feature you can refer to this document
Publish to web from Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn
You can refer to the web template code for viewing content only for logged in users.

php - Showing part of a page only for logged in users - Stack Overflow

Best regards

Albert He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-heq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @spider_Monkey ,

Based on your description, it appears that you want to display the power bi report as specific content to logged in users, whether or not they have a Microsoft account. Using secure embedding of reports as mentioned by GilbertQ is partially possible to achieve the functionality you need, but only if any user who wants to view the report needs to take the login step. Based on the results of my search for documentation on a similar issue, you could try using the publish to web feature and then set a rule on your site to make the report visible only to logged in users. Reports using the publish to web feature don't require a login or license to be visible to users, and after your site is set up to be visible only to logged in users, it completes your idea.
You can refer to the following documentation and blog on secure embedding:

Embed a report in a secure portal or website - Power BI | Microsoft Learn
Easily embed secure Power BI reports in your internal portals or websites | Microsoft Power BI Blog ...
For the description and limitations of the publish to web feature you can refer to this document
Publish to web from Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn
You can refer to the web template code for viewing content only for logged in users.

php - Showing part of a page only for logged in users - Stack Overflow

Best regards

Albert He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @spider_Monkey 

As far as I am aware using the Power BI  public embed will always be accessible for anyone who has the link

If you. want to securely share your power BI dashboard you can use secure embed.

But when using secure embed it will require a power bi licence.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors