Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

KarenL7
Advocate II
Advocate II

Row Level Security in Power BI Service in Deployment Pipeline

Hi

I am hoping someone is able to help me as I have been searching for an answer and just would like some confirmation please?

1. We have a Report which we have set up Row Level Security Successfully in Power BI Desktop.

2. We have successfully deployed this to Power BI Service.

KarenL7_1-1706174886646.png

3. The report was deployed to a Power BI Development Workspace as the first part of a deployment Pipeline.

KarenL7_0-1706174806191.png

4. Our Question is the following - if we were to configure the Users for Row Level on the development workspace and then  deployed the report to the test workspace would the Row Level Security setting be deployed also? - and also onto production)

We are still in development phase at the moment so we are not going to be deploying to test for a while and I presume that the settings will be taken across but just wanted to check.  Thanks.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

Karen

3 REPLIES 3
v-yifanw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KarenL7 ,

Based on the information you have provided, I understand that you would like to confirm whether the RLS settings are retained at different stages of the deployment pipeline in the Power BI service.

When you deploy reports from Power BI Desktop to Power BI Services using RLS, the RLS settings are indeed included in the dataset and are retained at deployment time.

As you elevate content from development to test and then to production, RLS settings that are part of the dataset's metadata should also be retained during these deployment stages.

Note that while RLS roles and their rules will be migrated with the dataset, you will need to manage role membership (which users or groups are assigned to each role) separately in each workspace. This means that after deployment to each phase, you will need to configure which users are in which roles in that particular environment (development, test, or production workspace).

In summary, RLS roles and rules will migrate with the dataset through the deployment pipeline, but you will need to manually manage role memberships at each stage.

Best Regards,

Ada Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yifanw-msft 

I was wondering if you were able to update me on my response below?

Thanks

Karen

Hi @v-yifanw-msft 

- I understand that role memberships would be maintained at dataset level which was not my original question that was not my question.

- I was asking if the roles were maintained within the service. From your note above you are saying that the role memberships still need to be manually maintained at each stage - so are you saying this is not automatically maintained then?  we have to manually do this each time - is this correct - so the only place to really configure this is in production workspace - please confirm thanks

Ideally would like to configure in the test workspace so we can test it and then deploy to production without having to manually setting up the roles all over again.

Karen

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors