Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

WEB3
Regular Visitor

Roles not working correctly

Hello,

I have created my powerbi-presentation in Powerbi-desktop and published it. Now I have set a role with 'Manage roles'.

After publishing my powerbi report from Powerbi desktop, I went to the workspace where the dataset report was published. There I went to security and indeed I see the role name I created there. After that I linked some email addresses to the role.

When I click 'Test as role', it works exactly as I intended. However, if a user with an email address linked to the role uses the report, this user will still see all the data.

So the role settings don't work. What could I have done wrong and what could I have forgotten?

Thanks for your comment.

Eric

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @WEB3 ,

if you publish your Power BI Desktop file to the workspace, with Row Level Security (RLS) implemented it's essential to understand, that RLS will not apllied if users are accessing the content from inside the workspace.

You have to create an app from the contents of the workspace and grant users access to the app, instead of adding users to the workspace.

I always recommend that only users who are creating content (reports and dashboards) should be added to the workspace.

There is only situation where RLS will be applied if content is accessed from inside a workspace and not via the app, and this is when users have been the Viewer role assigned.

Remove users who are only content consumers from the workspace and provide these users access to the app.

Hopefully, this helps to tackle your challenge.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @WEB3 ,

if you publish your Power BI Desktop file to the workspace, with Row Level Security (RLS) implemented it's essential to understand, that RLS will not apllied if users are accessing the content from inside the workspace.

You have to create an app from the contents of the workspace and grant users access to the app, instead of adding users to the workspace.

I always recommend that only users who are creating content (reports and dashboards) should be added to the workspace.

There is only situation where RLS will be applied if content is accessed from inside a workspace and not via the app, and this is when users have been the Viewer role assigned.

Remove users who are only content consumers from the workspace and provide these users access to the app.

Hopefully, this helps to tackle your challenge.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Hi @TomMartens ,

Thanks for your quick answer.

I haven't actually made an app yet. I'll have to dig into that a bit more.

I have changed the rights of these users to Viewer. Unfortunately, that has no effect on what they have access to.

Eric

WEB3
Regular Visitor

Hi @TomMartens ,

I now have the app. After that, the access rights worked properly!

Thanks again for your answer

Eric

Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi Eric,

The other users in the workspace need to be "Viewers" only. Then they will be subjecty to Row Level Security. If you have users in the Workspace that are "Members" "Contrubutors" or "Admin" they are not subject to Row Level Security so they will see all data.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Hi @Burningsuit ,

Unfortunately that has no effect. The users that I have now set as Viewer still have access to all data.

Eric

Hi Eric,

If your RLS is testing correctly, it may be that the Viewers on the workspace still have "build" rights on the Dataset, which defeats RLS.

To test this, remove one of the viewer accounts from the Workspace completely. Then share the Report with them using the "share" dialog, so that the report is in their "Shared with me" folder. Then see if the user is subject to RLS on that report. They should see the data subject to RLS, if they see the whole data, then your RLS code is wrong. Add them back as a "viewer" to the Workspace and test again.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for your reply.

I made an app for the dataset. After this, the access rights worked correctly!

Eric

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors