Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

garythomannCoGC
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Report Builder - bug using hidden parameter for objects with Font Size less than 8pt

Report Builder has more bugs than a sheep dip!

Using hidden parameters to control common font sizes.  But for font size 7 is a no go.  Font size 7 is available but not via parameter.

So obviously the font is loaded to RB at that smaller size but for some reason does not work when set via parameter!?

=Parameters!FontSize7.Value

In my report font size 8 and 9 are working but tried a smaller font and displays as like 10 point font.

Report Builder - bug using hidden parameter for Font Size 7 

Feel free to up vote the Issue (bug) posting above so that m$ can get around to fixing ... like never 😞

Ok I will stop being lazy and do some testing around this issue ... unlike m$ who seem to have trouble testing their own products :}

Line of text.  'test'

Segoe UI           = 'shes a no a work'

Arial                  = 'shes a no a work'

Courier New     = 'shes a no a work'

FontWeight   does not work either.  What **bleep** ... m$ is a load of **bleep**.  Thanks for destroying my career you ....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
garythomannCoGC
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Cheers @bradsy,  thanks for the test and reply.

Not sure about product naming but are not 'Power BI Report Builder' and 'Microsoft Report Builder'  one and the same!?  I gather by 'Power BI Report Builder' you mean 'Power BI Desktop'!?  I suppose m$ marketing will add 'paginated' in there sometime to help distinguish between the two :}

I am using 'Power BI Report Builder' (paginated) as stated on the header line of the tool and the updates pop up below.  

Report Builder version.png

Testing. 

1) being composite textbox, the first Branch line are hardcoded font size values and the second Branch line are hidden parameters

2) header panel testing,  first line hard coded and second hidden parameter values

3) body panel testing,  first line hard coded and second hidden parameter values

Editor...

RB editor.before run.png

Running...

RB editor.after run.png

Editor...

RB editor.png

'This bag os no a work mate!'

I tripple checked to make sure the default value relate to each parameter and each test field matches the test description ...

Note for the Body panel test I used the same assignements as per the header test. eg  =Parameters!ParameterDisplay_FontSize7.Value

All hidden parameters are of Data Type Text which is the default.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
garythomannCoGC
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Bold testing.

Works but would be nice if wysiwyg worked too.  Without wysiwyg it is not worth using hidden parameter as global variable.

Editor...

RB editor.bold.before run.png

Run...

RB editor.bold.after run.png

garythomannCoGC
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Cheers @bradsy,  thanks for the test and reply.

Not sure about product naming but are not 'Power BI Report Builder' and 'Microsoft Report Builder'  one and the same!?  I gather by 'Power BI Report Builder' you mean 'Power BI Desktop'!?  I suppose m$ marketing will add 'paginated' in there sometime to help distinguish between the two :}

I am using 'Power BI Report Builder' (paginated) as stated on the header line of the tool and the updates pop up below.  

Report Builder version.png

Testing. 

1) being composite textbox, the first Branch line are hardcoded font size values and the second Branch line are hidden parameters

2) header panel testing,  first line hard coded and second hidden parameter values

3) body panel testing,  first line hard coded and second hidden parameter values

Editor...

RB editor.before run.png

Running...

RB editor.after run.png

Editor...

RB editor.png

'This bag os no a work mate!'

I tripple checked to make sure the default value relate to each parameter and each test field matches the test description ...

Note for the Body panel test I used the same assignements as per the header test. eg  =Parameters!ParameterDisplay_FontSize7.Value

All hidden parameters are of Data Type Text which is the default.

bradsy
Employee
Employee

Hi garythomannCoGC,

The hidden parameter and font size does work. I was able to go down to 1pt size, which even with glasses I could not read. 

I set up a hidden parameter called FontSize, text data type, with default value of 7pt. I then set the Font\FontSize "=Parameters!FontSize.Value" on the textbox or tablix cell. This is with Power BI Report Builder, but I this should work in Microsoft Report Builder as well.

@bradsy  What font did you use for your testing?  I just tried a whole swag again.  Textbox properties only shows down to 8pt.  But yes you can enter any value down to 1pt but  parameter expression only works from 8pt up.  

You wouldn't be telling porkies @bradsy  would you ... maybe some m$ stock options coming up ... gotta keep the faith till one can make a clean exit ...

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors