Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

MrMP
Helper III
Helper III

Refreshing report in our tenant using sql from other organization

Hi,

We have report in our organization that is using on prem data of other organization. Right now, report refresh is manual.

What is the best aproach to make this automatic refresh using power bi gateway?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You can't use a gateway from another tenant. Gateways are sync to a tenant. You won't find a way to manage or configure sources for gateway unless it was installed with your tenant email. That doesn't mean you can't reach the data. You just need a VM with visibility to the data and install a new gateway with @company1. 

I hope that helps.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MrMP
Helper III
Helper III

@ibarrau Thank you!

my account is email@company1.com and can company2 share their gateway with me so I can use it to connect to the premise data or I have to have an account in their tenant?

You can't use a gateway from another tenant. Gateways are sync to a tenant. You won't find a way to manage or configure sources for gateway unless it was installed with your tenant email. That doesn't mean you can't reach the data. You just need a VM with visibility to the data and install a new gateway with @company1. 

I hope that helps.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Yes. Using an OnPremise Data Gateway Standard mode would be the best approach. Install the gateway in a VM/Machine that has visibility of the database. Be sure the machine will be on when the refresh runs. 

The account installing and logging the gateway will have the administration at Power Bi Service. Open Power Bi Service and configure the database source. Then you can open the schedule refresh of the dataset to check the source and configure the schedule.

Here you have an example with old pictures: https://blog.ladataweb.com.ar/post/189013278236/powerbigateway-configurar-una-actualización

I hope that helps,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors