Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

SomeNerd
Regular Visitor

Refresh times out on tiny data set

I have a particular dataset that connects to a postgres database that I also manage. Other reports that connect to this same database via our On-Premises Gateway work fine.

This dataset, which is less than 200,000 rows (about 7.5 MB), times out before it can refresh on Service. It refreshes in less than 1 minute on Desktop. I can also see that refreshing on PowerBI service is successfully connecting to the database, but it seems like Service isn't actually pulling the data. The connections sit idle on the postgres side. In contrast, when refreshing on Desktop, the postgres server shows the connections and shows data flowing to PowerBI and everything works as expected.

I have tried:

• Deleting the report from Service, clearing the cache on Desktop, and re-uploading.
  • Minimizing the dataset size (I could get it even smaller, but I don't think that's the issue)
  • Minimizing the PowerQuery steps for the report. There are only some column type changes.

Why does Service time out? Is there something I have missed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

I would work with your network team. It seems there is a network blockage from the Service to the Gateway to the Server. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
edhans
Super User
Super User

I would work with your network team. It seems there is a network blockage from the Service to the Gateway to the Server. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors