Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rkaganov
Regular Visitor

Programmatically export individual user PDF reports from Power BI with Power Automate

I have a Power BI report displaying disk usage data with various visualizations. It includes:

• A slicer for filtering by user ID
  • A table showing disk usage details per user (paths, sizes)

My goal is to automate this PDF generation process for each user in the database, creating individual reports. Is this achievable using Power Automate web (preferably not Desktop)? If so, what approach would be most efficient?

Additional details:

The data source for the Power BI report is a CSV file.

16 REPLIES 16
Jonvoge
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi rkaganov

If i may offer an alternative approach, the brand new "Dynamic Subscriptions" feature in the Power BI Service allows you to do this, without Power Automate: Dynamic subscriptions for Power BI reports (Preview) | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

Note that you need a Fabric Capacity or Power BI Premium Capacity to do this.

rkaganov
Regular Visitor

Hi Ibendlin,

1. Considering my scenario, could you outline the most suitable approach using Power Automate web modules and connectors?
  2. Which specific modules would be involved in each step of the process?

Thanks

There is only one action for that.

lbendlin_0-1708789068463.png

Personally I cannot recommend doing that. I don't think Power Automate is robust enough.

Dear Ibendlin,

Thank you for clarifying the specific issue. I understand that the previously suggested module alone might not be sufficient for generating personalized reports.

I'm looking at how to combine the original module with other modules like List Rows and For Each might allow iterating through user IDs, filtering the Power BI report through appropriate actions, and then generating individual PDFs using the existing module.

The goal is to generate a personal pdf report and not a common report for each user.
The visuals should be updated before the pdf is created.

The Export action includes a rerendering of the report pages according to the supplied filters.

If your report is slow this may result in unrendered visuals being included in the PDF. Make sure your report renders fast 

It is right, but my problem from the beginning is how to update the filter value automatically every time before generating the next PDF report. 

That is part of your Apply to Each loop over the list of user IDs and their filters.

How it can be implemented inside the "Export to PDF" module?
I mean, how to re-render the visualization inside of the "Apply to Each" loop?

As I said, that is part of the package. Power Automate does all the heavy lifting for you behind the scenes, submitting the request, waiting for the render to complete, and collecting the resulting file.

Got it.
However, I still cannot understand how to apply it inside the module.
That is the Query I have.

DsV2Hl3G3s.png
I guess I need to add a WBI parameter inside of "ReportLevelFilters" entry.

nHsViukllG.png
But I see no WBI in Dynamic content

You need to specify the filter manually, in ODATA format.

Query1/WBI eq 'something something'

It is not working

GbwdRogrfW.pngCEy5QE9Y0S.png

As the error message says - this is only available for Premium Workspaces.

Hmm... that is strange
I thought I did have a premium license

EwGSNcCaDZ.png

Your Power Automate premium license is of no use (and not required).  You need a Power BI Premium workspace.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Power Automate has the ability to render reports or report pages to PDF, while applying report level filters.

Possible - yes.  Efficient -  erm.  Please try it out and judge for yourself.  There are some severe limitations.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors