Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

H92222

Powerbi for a client - but we host the data

Hi

I have my own azure ad group, my own azure DB with data and an app/ website etc

I have a client who do not want me to do their powerbi reporting, but their own MI team (only 2 persons). (But I host the data)

What sort of solutions can I offer to them? 

Should I have a VM with a data gateway in my domain, then I request them to get some powerBI licences, Microsoft etc, then set up a connection to my azure SQL db? It needs to be direct query which is the difficulty of them being on a different tenant. 

I need to design all the reports and provide them to the client, then they take over the reports. 

Any solution help would be greatly appreciated, I am only used to working in my own domain. 

thankyou 

5 REPLIES 5
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @H92222 

Easiest way is to add them to your Azure AD as Guests for items distribution

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/enterprise/service-admin-azure-ad-b2b

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Hi AJ - Thankyou for the prompt really and suggestion! 

This would work in the interim - but eventually the client wants to have ownership of the reports (I create a .pbix and pass over to them to host) and their own BI solution, just connecting to our Azure DB. Could you make some suggestions as to how this could be achieved? There currently isn't an enterprise gateway set up in our environment. 

many thanks

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Your client needs to open the pbix in his desktop and connect it to your Azure DB. Of course you need to give him access permission. Once done and refreshed the client can publish it to his tenant.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Hi AJ thankyou

if they would like to have direct query/ refresh schedules, would they set up a gateway in their tenancy etc? 

Thankyou again 

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Your DB is in Azure, they won't need Gateway and Yes they can make DQ connection mode.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors